Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Well...I HAD a topic to discuss, but I see that Admin has tabooed...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dr._Dizzysplitfinger

Dr._Dizzysplitfinger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

Hmm...well, let's see now. I H-A-D a topic to discuss, but It seems that Admin has tabooed or otherwise blacklisted the topic of using copy written software, i.e.:OSIS ISOs , I386 / AMD64, System32, WOW64 folders, etc., for the purpose of extracting OS installation files for use in constructing PE type OS's 'on a stick' (or a 'coaster' [working versions, of course ;-)]...as the case may be). I did not begin this Topic to contest the policies of this website and forum nor advocate software piracy nor copyright infringements against the owners and producers of this type of software.

While I do agree with what Admin says regarding the subject of adhering to the laws and rules which govern or limit the use and protect the ownership rights, of such intellectual property... I also, however believe that there is a demonstrably useful and practical need for both VM / PE based offline operating systems and other similar applications that allow IT professionals and owners of systems and networks, alike who do have legal license to use the aforementioned intellectual property (henceforth to be referred to as simply, 'software')... to have a way to both diagnose and repair their systems and networks 'off-line', provided that they:

a: first, legally have lease to use OS installation software (be it: loader, recovery or system files / data itself) or parts of it and...
b: neither sell for profit nor give away (for philanthropic purpose or otherwise) copies of any OS's or applications derived from the use of such copy written
material or parts of it.

I'd be interested to hear any useful comments (or admonishments, for that matter...as long as they are offered tactfully and in a civilized manner, of course ;-] ), from either the administrators of this website or members of this forum who at least have some knowledge of Intellectual Property / Software Copyright Law and or the subject of creating PE type operating systems and or virtual machine technology for the beneficial and non-profitable purposes that I have previously stated.

In closing, I would like to thank the administration for welcoming me here on behalf of the 'Bleeping Computer' forum community and allowing me to share my thoughts on a topic that I find, is as interesting (fascinating...in fact to many, including myself), as it is controversial. I would also like to include, that: I hope not many of you will think that I'm being some sort of 'agent provocateur' here...I'm simply seeking clarification as to whether or not the topic is off limits for discussion as a whole or whether possibly, it can be discussed in the context of the legal use of parts of the software for beneficial and non-profitable personal diagnostic and repair uses that may have not necessarily been considered by the designers and publishers of this material, before the software's copyright legal text was formulated.

Thank you for considering my thoughts and questions on this matter.

- 'Dizzy'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

Hi Dizzy, and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

First, I'm relocating this topic to General Chat as it's a more appropriate location for a discussion of this nature.

Our restriction on PE disks is limited to pre-built images. This means that we do not allow the recommendation of pre-compiled ISOs.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with using or telling others how to use WinPE or BartPE to generate these types of bootable CD/DVDs from their own Windows Installation Media. This is perfectly legal as long as you do not host and distribute the CD/DVDs that you have generated. In fact, we encourage everyone to create their own bootable recovery environments in the event that your computer becomes unbootable in order to further aid you in fixing such problems.

Hope that helps to explain things a bit.

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 30 May 2011 - 05:14 PM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

I might add that while you "did not begin this Topic to contest the policies of this website and forum nor advocate software piracy nor copyright infringements against the owners and producers of this type of software", you went right ahead and created a discussion out of it to demonstrate why you believe the guidelines are wrong. Simply put, not your forum, so not your rules. :) We tend to err on the side of caution, and it is a formula that has worked well for us. We are not a hacking/cracking/warez forum. We also recognize that it is perfectly legitimate to discuss things like resetting passwords, sql injection, infection vectors, or creation of one's own bootable DVDs. We try hard to maintain a balance. We also are very cognizant about limiting the forum owner's legal liability, as well as making sure we don't inadvertently break agreements with the hosting company that may result in BC being taken off line.

Nonetheless, welcome to BC. I trust that you understand the restrictions, and how you can contribute within those limitations.

#4 Dr._Dizzysplitfinger

Dr._Dizzysplitfinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:26 PM

Thank you for clarifying, 'Blade'...I had, figured that the emphasis was specifically, on not allowing the posting of links to or suggesting sites where, persons could obtain such .iso's., however the administrator's notes on the subject seemed to suggest that it was a subject that was controversial enough that it should probably be best left alone, but I felt a genuine need to get clarification on the matter...nothing more (regardless of what other might feel and thus insinuate).

I'm aware that many such .iso's are free for the downloading at sites such as: The Pirate Bay, Warez, Hotfiles,etc. and aside from the the fact that providing them is both illegal and unethical it has also occurred to me that there are many inept slip-streamers and malevolent malware bundlers out there (up to 6' and no good...I'm sure) for anybody who takes there computer security seriously enough to even consider wanting to risk downloading one of these iso's.

I myself use my own purchased Win XP, 7 installation discs combined with UBCD4Win (BartPE with significant improvements)and WinPE Builder, so I myself have no need to accept what pirates may have to offer, but there are many who don't have a valid source for the .ISO files needed to build PE's so I can see where the temptation might be strong for some.

In closing I would like to thank you again, for your professionalism (which I think makes you a good moderator) and not putting words in my mouth or erroneously presuming certain intentions on my part (with regard the my post)that never existed in the first place. I've heard it said by at least one other moderator on this website that 'we here at this forum tend to error on the side of caution'. I would like to suggest to such 'moderators' that perhaps one very good example of 'erring on the side of caution' might be...for starters, giving others the benefit of a doubt and not publicly placing them in a 'corner' where they cannot back out with their dignity intact.

I'd be obliged if you might please pass this message on at your next admin / moderators meetings. Thanks :wink:

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:04 AM

I'd be obliged if you might please pass this message on at your next admin / moderators meetings. Thanks :wink:

Consider it passed on, up to and including the site owner. We thank you for taking the time to reply with such positive and constructive comment's.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users