Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jumper settings

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

Ok, so I added a 3rd WD 160gb HD to my rig, in preparation for some upcoming things I want to try. I had to switch around some cables in order to get all 3 connected along with my cd/dvd drive. All 3 drives are WD 160 gb PATA.

3rd drive not showing up. Guessing it is due to the jumpers. Here is how they are connected.

Mobo header to Primary (C:)with windows on middle connector then to 3rd drive (empty)on end connector.

Pci card to cd/dvd to (D:)drive on end of cable ...previously was in slave after C: drive.

So I am guessing that the C: jumper should be set on master, and the new one connected to same cable should be jumpered slave.

should the D: that was in slave position previously that is now connected after cd/dvd be set as slave or cable select?

What suggestions does anyone have?

*edited to add that with these settings, only the c: drive is found, the 2nd 2 hd are not. and dvd drive is not seen

Edited by miztrniceguy, 30 May 2011 - 04:20 PM.

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data
Asus DVD writer, Corsair 600W PSU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

Primary controller - drive c (Windows) jumper as master and the other drive as slave.
Shouldn't matter but put the primary on the end of the cable & the secondary in the middle.

Secondary controller - jumper the hard drive as master & the cdrom as slave.
Hard drive on the end & cd in the middle.

Thats the way I always do it.

Then go into the BIOS & see if the system detects all drives
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

Can't change the order on the cables. I am experimenting with moving the jumpers. As of now everything is found except the new hard drive.

Thanks for the reply!

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, Intel i5-3570K unlocked Quad Core cpu, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz ram
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler, Samsung 128GB SSD with Win7 Pro, WD 500GB drive for data

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

Sure thing!
Not many staff are on today as it is a holiday.
Im just bored haha.

Order on the cable should really only matter when the drives are jumpered to cable select.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

Still not finding new drive. tried assorted combos for the cd and new drive. no luck yet.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:16 PM

Pci card to cd/dvd to (D:)drive on end of cable ...previously was in slave after C: drive.

I have a question for you regarding your quote above.

Are you connecting the DVD drive through a PCI card or are you connecting the DVD drive to one of the IDE slots on the motherboard?

If you need me to post pictures for you I can do that to help you understand my question little bit better. :thumbup2:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

CD/DVD connected to pci card with ide connection.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

CD/DVD connected to pci card with ide connection.

Okay this is a totally different ball of wax (so to speak).

You must have only one IDE slot on your motherboard, so you are using a PCI to IDE expansion card to accommodate the IDE DVD drive you are using.

Now aside from this, you obviously have an IDE data cable connected to your main IDE slot, to which you have two hard drives connected, hopefully one drive as MASTER and the other as a slave.

Now for a better understanding, I am going to add some pictures to this post that will hopefully help you in how things should be connected.

Below is an IDE/PATA hard drive with the connection terminals facing you, you'll notice the IDE data cable connection port to the left, the jumper port for selecting either MASTER, SLAVE or CABLE SELECT (in this pic, there are two white jumpers installed) and the 4 pin power port to the far right.

Attached File  hard-drive2.jpg   29.62KB   2 downloads

Next picture is the IDE data cable, the RED arrow points to the second IDE connector, it is commonly connected to the second or SLAVE device, but it is NOT required that it be hooked up this way if the cable does not reach both drives that way.

Attached File  c01644069.jpg   12.05KB   2 downloads

Blow is a picture of a motherboard to which has two IDE ports, the BLUE connector is the PRIMARY IDE channel, this port can accommodate two devices, which are called IDE 0 and IDE 1.
The white connector is not always found on newer SATA-II motherboards, but on older ones, it was called the SECONDARY IDE channel.

Attached File  ide-slots.jpg   18.49KB   1 downloads

Now getting back to that BLUE connector, two devices can be hooked up to this port via an IDE cable, however, both devices share the same wires and sharing can cause IRQ conflicts.

To get around this, devices connected to the same cable have to acquire a personal identity that is different from the other device, this is where the jumper on the hard drive comes into play.

One drive would be set to a master and the other drive set to a slave, electronically, you gave each drive its own identity from the other drive, almost like assigning each device its own telephone number (so to speak) when the number of the MASTER drive is called, only that drive will respond, the SLAVE drive will not respond.

If both drives are jumpered as master or both are jumpered as slaves, a conflict will take place, because both drives are being called at the same time and both are answering. That would be fine if both were part of a RAID hard drive array, but IDE ports do not use RAID arrays, only SATA drives can be setup as RAID.

Going back to that picture of the hard drive above, you have to examine the drives label for a map, or check the drive near the jumper area for markings for MA, SL or CS.

One drive should be MA, the other set as SL.

Boot up the system and enter your BIOS setup utility, it is either DELETE key or F1 at POST screen, make sure both drives are detected and save the changes and exit the utility.

If you have two drives hooked up to the PCI to IDE card, please let me know this, because I will have to offer a totally different set of directions, pertaining to your PCI cards settings.

You might also want to tell me the make and model number of your PCI to IDE card, that will be helpful as well.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 May 2011 - 11:54 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

PCI to IDE card is Sabrent SA-IDE88 with (1)WD HDD and (1) LG Super Multi cd/dvd writer. Yes, the Intel board only has 1 IDE header on it. When I purchased it 2 years ago I didn't realize it, and as soon as it arrived, I found out, hence the pci card. Mobo hasa SATA, but sadly the 3 hard drives are nearly identical WD 160GB Pata drives. Next time I have a drive failure, or if I don't figure this out soon, then I will buy a SATA drive to simplify things, since I can get 500gb sata dr for only $40

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

I tried finding support information on this card, in doing so I ran into a lot of reviews on sellers web sites, reviews were not very promising.

I checked the sabrent web site regarding this device, although the web sites time and date are correct, this page below has the same characteristics as a CACHED page stored on Google's servers. :blink:

http://www.sabrent.com/category/controller-cards/SA-IDE88/

There does not appear to be any jumpers on this card, from descriptions I have read, its supposed to support two SATA drives and two IDE drives with Ultra-DMA support.

Sounds promising, however, from the reviews I've seen, not many people were very happy with it. :whistle:

The best I can tell you, is when attaching the hard drive and DVD to the same IDE cable, set one as master and the other as a slave, since the card has no jumpers, that would be the only configuration that you can use to hook both drives up at the same time.

For what it is worth, at $40.00, you would probably be better off eliminating this card and going with a new SATA hard drive hooked directly up to the motherboard's SATA port.

Bruce.

#11 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

I probably will replace the drive down the road. I've been using the pci to ide card for 2 years just for the cd writer. It wasn't until I decided to add a 3rd drive that I needed anything else. The 3rd one came from a rig I'm not using. I am planning to try and put MAC OSX on it, or on a different one. I will probably replace drive 2 with a sata drive. drive 2 has all my data etc, drive 1 has windows on it.

Thanks for your efforts.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

I want to be able to offer you a decent solution to resolve this problem, however I am limited with what the card its self is capable of doing.

Plus in that Sabrent web site I linked you to above the drop down menus on the support page don't offer any thing that is helpful, in fact they are empty, not even the drivers are under the drivers menu. :blink:

What I mean by this is the card is supposed to support two IDE devices according to the description for its capabilities.
Why it is not recognizing both drives is beyond me at this point. It is recognizing your DVD drive, to which I believe you have it set up as the SLAVE.

One thing I want to mention here is some drives do NOT require any jumpers installed at all when the drive is configured as a MASTER or a SLAVE (depends on the drive), the jumper in question is placed on two pins that are basically NOT electronically connected to the hard drive controller board at all. In fact the jumper in this case can be removed all together.

Out of curiosity, can you please post the model number of this hard drive to which you have connected to the PCI card? The numbers should be printed on the hard drive at the top of the label.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 31 May 2011 - 11:18 PM.

#13 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:22 PM

Sure, the model # is Western Digital WD1600AAJB. Yes, I would like it to be able to work, however, This is my main rig, for my daily use, so them time spent plugging everything in and unplugging it etc, is starting to add up to a diminishing return...time = money, etc.

And thanks again!

Edited by miztrniceguy, 31 May 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:23 AM

I am going to post a picture of your hard drive jumper map in the image below. if you click on the image below, it should blow up to a larger size, you can also save this image to your desktop if you wish to do so.

Attached File  WDJumpers.jpg   108.73KB   1 downloads

Just check the map in my image above for the same number of pins on your drive and look to the right side of my image for the words Master and SLAVE. Duplicate what you see in my image with the jumpers on your drive.

Pay close attention to the words DUEL MASTER in this map!

This setting is a must if you have it on a cable with another IDE device set up as a SLAVE.

Make sure your DVD device is set up as a SLAVE or an IRQ conflict will take place.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 June 2011 - 01:31 AM.

#15 miztrniceguy

miztrniceguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

Yes, I have that diagram already for my 10 pin connector, it"s what I've been using as a guide, switching things around to find right combo. Haven't tried since monday. will try again tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users