Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk backup vs clone...what's the difference?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

I've been trying to understand the differences between Disk backup vs clone vs. drive imaging....I am confused! Can anyone break it all down for me?

Thanks! :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

They are all the same, but a disk clone and disk image are the most identical. They would both be bootable.

#3 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

They are all the same, but a disk clone and disk image are the most identical. They would both be bootable.

Well, they like to make it confusing don't they? lol I used an expensive backup program in the past & had nothing but issues with it. I recently heard about Easeus (free) on Leo Laporte's show & thought I would give it a shot.

I am guessing one would be able to boot directly from the cd in the case that windows would become corrupt to the point of not starting?

I would like to use this on a friend's HP pc of which they have no backup disks for; it seems like this would be a good solution to get them out of the woods with, in the case of serious corruption...

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

On OEM's you can create the recovery CD's via their own support tools.

What kind of HP is it, and I will direct you to the method.

#5 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

On OEM's you can create the recovery CD's via their own support tools.

What kind of HP is it, and I will direct you to the method.

There is no installed program on her pc to create backup disks; when I worked on it recently I went through the pages at HP's site & they did not offer backup capabilities for this particular model. I don't have the specifics of her pc here with me, but I may be working on it in the next day or so.

When I have it again, I will post the model number. Hopefully you will have better luck finding support for it than I did. IIRC, I believe it is around an '03 model...

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

Yeah get me the model number.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

Edited and reposted below

Edited by Allan, 30 May 2011 - 02:03 PM.

#8 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

lol -

I knew I had it in my records some[place...one of these days I will get completely organized. :blink:

(HP) Compaq Presario sr1000
System # pp153aa

I would really like to be able to create "clean" images if possible; this thing has had several infections as you might well imagine, and it is running well now...except I am unable to access the restore part of the disc on startup - you know, the "press f8 ? for disc recovery" when you boot the pc?

That function has never worked since I started working on it a few months ago.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

A backup copies files of your choosing to selected medium.

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.

I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.

2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.

3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.

4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

Does the PC currently have PC-Doctor?

#11 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:09 PM

Does the PC currently have PC-Doctor?

I don't remember - again, I will have to check when I get it in the next day or so...why do you ask - can I use that to create a restore disc?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

Possibly as I have a dell program on my dell that allowed me to create the restore cd's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users