Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failing video card?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Wyler

Wyler

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

I ordered this video card, which is a Sapphire 4650, from Newegg at a bargain of about 50 or 60 bucks, which surprised me because it worked so well when I got it as it played Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, my favorites which I couldn't play so well on my original computers onboard.

The card has been working fine since I got my computer, which I ordered with the card, which is been about 7 months ago. Recently the card has began letting me down. A few weeks ago, while playing Team Fortress 2, my TV turned off and my speakers started stuttering. I had to force a shutdown.

I turned it back on, it went past the boot logo, tried to load Windows 7 for a few seconds, then the monitor went to a blue screen displaying "NO SIGNAL!" I left it off for awhile because I assumed the video card was overheated. This appeared to work for a bit.

I tried playing Team Fortress 2 again and played for about 20 minutes, then it happened again. "NO SIGNAL!" So I took the card out of the computer slot and placed it back in. tn worked for a bit longer, except this time, while trying to watch something on Hulu, it went to no signal again.

I turned it off and back on again. All the fans are spinning, everything powers up, my computer makes the usual POST beep noise.

The computer runs fine without the video card, but I really don't think I can put up with this onboard card, which is unable to even play a game from 11 years ago. I got this computer as a gaming computer and recently, no gaming has been done on this thing. I don't have a way to test the card, so I'm unsure just what the problem is.

If anybody has any suggestions it would be gladly appreciated. Also, my apologies for the long post, I just wanted to make sure I had everything covered so maybe I can get a quicker answer. I tried posting over at Afterdawn but three weeks later nobody has posted anything, hopefully somebody has some suggestions here.

Edited by Wyler, 30 May 2011 - 12:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 markr9

markr9

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

The first thing I would suggest is to check the administration event logs for any system errors, and see if it picked up a card failure. (in xp its start, control panel, administration tools, event viewer, system. I dont have win 7 but it shouldnt be hard to find)

The next step would be to load something that will show you the temperature sensors of your machine. I am assuming the boards are fairly free of dust, and that all fans are running. I use speedfan but there are other utilities available.

#3 Wyler

Wyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:12 PM

The first thing I would suggest is to check the administration event logs for any system errors, and see if it picked up a card failure. (in xp its start, control panel, administration tools, event viewer, system. I dont have win 7 but it shouldnt be hard to find)

The next step would be to load something that will show you the temperature sensors of your machine. I am assuming the boards are fairly free of dust, and that all fans are running. I use speedfan but there are other utilities available.

Well, I cant monitor the video card while it's in the system because theres no image on my monitor while it's in the system. I checked the event log and I didn't see anything that looked suspicious, most errors were when I had to force shutdowns and miscellaneous network errors.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

HW MonitorHave you tried another using monitor? Use HW Monitor to check out the your GPU temperatures.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Wyler

Wyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:28 PM

Here is the results, I'm not sure what to look for.

Attached Files

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:35 AM

Ok, why don't you take a screenshot of HW Monitor and post it back?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Wyler

Wyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

The results are already on that file I attached in my last post but OK.

Posted Image

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

Any chance of taking a screenshot when the game is running?

>Michael 

#9 Wyler

Wyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

Any chance of taking a screenshot when the game is running?

No. The game doesn't work and it takes 5 hours to download it off Steam. Not going to slow my computer down for 5 hours then just delete it. No point...

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:35 AM

Please answer one of my questions which i asked before.

Have you tried another using monitor?

>Michael 

#11 Wyler

Wyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

Yes, I have tried using other monitors. Two actually. Same problem on both of them.

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:16 PM

I would try another video card and see how that goes.

>Michael 

#13 Wyler

Wyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

I would try another video card and see how that goes.

Can't afford one. That's why I'm trying to flesh out the main problem here.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:39 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I see you are having problems with a video graphics expansion card, it happens to the best of us, so don't feel like your alone.

It appears your system is experiencing a hardware issue, appears at this point to be graphics related and your system is shutting down to avoid possible damage.

Here is the first thing you should do when you install this video card into the slot, try to boot into the BIOS setup utility first, do not allow it to boot to the hard drive.

Before I offer any other possible advice or solutions, I need for you to post back and tell me if your system successfully booted into the BIOS setup utility, I also need for you to tell me the make and model number of either the motherboard or the computer system it is installed in if it is an OEM type retail computer package.
That is all I need to know for now. :wink:

If I fail to reply to you with-in 24 hours, you are more than welcomed to send me a personal message along with a link to this topic.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 June 2011 - 03:43 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#15 Wyler

Wyler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I see you are having problems with a video graphics expansion card, it happens to the best of us, so don't feel like your alone.

It appears your system is experiencing a hardware issue, appears at this point to be graphics related and your system is shutting down to avoid possible damage.

Here is the first thing you should do when you install this video card into the slot, try to boot into the BIOS setup utility first, do not allow it to boot to the hard drive.

Before I offer any other possible advice or solutions, I need for you to post back and tell me if your system successfully booted into the BIOS setup utility, I also need for you to tell me the make and model number of either the motherboard or the computer system it is installed in if it is an OEM type retail computer package.
That is all I need to know for now. :wink:

If I fail to reply to you with-in 24 hours, you are more than welcomed to send me a personal message along with a link to this topic.

Bruce.

Thanks for the warm welcome and trying to help me. I appreciate it.

I have thought of getting into the bios but I cannot. If I put in my card I will not get any image on my screen. I cannot tell if I got into the bios or not. I will gladly give you the model number of my computer.

Computer Manufacturer: ZT Systems
Computer model number: 2140na
Website Link: http://www.ztsystems.com/default.aspx?tabid=1239&productid=27935
Video Card: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-HD4650-PCI-Express-Graphics/dp/B001L1RYZQ

Again, I appreciate your help. My card is the smaller version but I suspect it has the same specs.

Edited by Wyler, 02 June 2011 - 09:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users