Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Trouble (10 Mins Of Restarting?)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 va247

va247

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:26 AM

OK. My computer is working fine, so far. I built it about a year ago. However, everytime I turn it on, I have to let it "warm-up" for 5-10 minutes as it restarts itself repeatedly. I don't know what causes this. I read through some other forums and posts on this site. The most common culprits always seem to be either a bad psu or bad capacitors on the mobo. I checked my psu and everything looks fine (I haven't opened it up, though). The capacitors on the mobo look OK too. As far as I know, all my drives are installed correctly and everything has the latest driver. I am running Windows XP sp2. I don't know what else you guys might need to know, but I've posted my computer's specs below. I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Motherboard: Aces A7N8X-E Deluxe
CPU: Athlon XP 3200+
Ram: Corsair ValueSelect
Video Card: Powercolor Radeon 9600 Pro w/ 256mb
Sound Card: Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition
Hard Drive: Maxtor 250gb MaxPlus III w/ 16mb cache
PSU: Antec True Power 550 watts
Heatsink-fan: Thermaltake Volcano 12
Case Fans: 3 generic brand fans (all seem to be working) and 1 Vantec Tornado

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:39 AM

Dear va247,

When did this start happening?

Have you added anything new lately?

What is the Ram amount you have?

I would turn off your computer and unplug it. Then reseat everything, including plugs, and clean dirty components while your in there.

If you have done nothing to your computer and this started happening, it probably is just a loose connection or oxidation.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:

Edited by junkdk, 06 January 2006 - 12:41 AM.

Your Hardware Guide.

#3 va247

va247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 04:40 AM

i have a gig of ram. I have reseated everything in my computer about 6 times over the past year. The case and components are about as dustless as I could make them. I recently installed a new hard drive (the one I mentioned before) after my western digital started clicking (I had the restarting problem then too and thought the hdd was the source). I have also replaced the motherboard with the same model. This has been happening since I built this computer. I thought first it was the psu, so I changed that. Then I thought it was the ram, so I went from kingston valuram to the corsair ram i now have (that made a huge difference and the random restarting lessened). I reseated everything in my comp about 3 days ago. Ever since then, the restarting stopped happening while the computer was in use and now only happens when the computer starts up. If you need anymore info, I'd be glad to help. I'm desperate...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:26 AM

FWIW - I did this with my last system. I ended up with enough good parts to build a nice second system! :thumbsup:

Anywhoo - have you checked your Event Viewer? The lack of errors there will help to confirm this as an issue that's outside of Windows.

Have you checked your BIOS settings? Tried resetting them to default/safe? Checked to ensure that large hard drive support is enabled?

Where does the reboot occur? While the system is still POSTing? After Windows Starts to load? Somewhere else?

About all that's left is the vid card, keyboard, mouse, and any other peripherals you may have connected.

Try physically disconnecting everything but the PSU, CPU, mobo, boot drive, Video card, monitor, RAM, Keyboard, and mouse.

You can presume that the mobo, PSU, and RAM are good (since they're new) - that leaves the other components as suspect. The keyboard and mouse are the easiest to check - just borrow them from another machine for a few minutes. Then that leaves you with the CPU, boot drive, and video card. I haven't heard of that many CPU's just flat going bad. A new boot drive will cost a bit, and will have to have the OS installed on it. So, that leaves the vid card as the next replacement attempt.

You can try and borrow an older vid card - or you can buy a cheap one from a major retailer like BestBuy (but ensure that you can return it if needed).

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 VB4

VB4

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:15 AM

This may be a weird and dumb question, but do you have a modem installed becuase modems themselves can cause a computer not to start.

For fast computer answers, visit SparkCore. A brand new computer forum with dedicated members, who will get you the answers you need to solve all your computer problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users