Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo mail has been Hijacked

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gza

gza

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

Hi. This is my first post here and its a bit of a bad one.
Basically my Yahoo mail account must be hijacked. I have received emails from family and people I don't know telling me that I am sending them links to strange sites.Here's a list of some sent to me by someone I don't know. I advise not clocking any of them. I only put them here for reference. I will look into just what they are later.
My computer was blasted with malware in nov-dec last year when i went back online. I was running Avast 5 Free. I also got a thing from a company called "Thinkpoint" saying that my computer was infected and was spamming and that Thinkpoint could fix it for US$99. It was a scam, still is a scam and was a real HUA to get rid of. It wouldn't allow me access to the internet, booting to safe mode or using any malware/AV removal tools. It froze the computer prompting me to pay the US$99 and that what I was doing by spamming people is Illegal and I can be fined heavily.
I eventually got shot of it by opening IE and downloading/installing MalwareBytes. My Firefox was blocked by "Thinkpoint".
The problem can only be the yahoo mail/firefox programs because I have only 4 weeks ago reinstalled fresh windows 7 X64, updated it and then AVG Internet Security 2010, updated. Then Yahoo, Windows Live Essentials 2011 and a few other programs and my computer has not been on the internet since Jan 11th this year. I am using flatmates computer at the moment as he has the internet and his computer has been fresh installed everything from OS to the few programs that he has on it.
So, the problem can only be in Yahoo Mail, my account has been hijacked.
The only thing I can think of doing is deleteing my yahoo account and recreating it with new password or simply create a new account.
Creating a new account and not deleting the hijacked one won't stop the bad one from spamming people though.
I run a Hijack this scan of this computer and could submit it for analysis, but I'm of te opinion that the problem is embedded in the Yahoo Mail site of my account and not in my computer. I could be wrong.
Any suggestions on this and how I can fix it would be appreciated thanks.
I don't really want to delete the Yahoo account I have had for almost 5 years as I will be wiping out all the legitimate contacts that I have.
Hell, I'm getting heaps of emails from people and sites that I simply don't know and have never contacted.
This is bad news for sure.
Help and advice please
Thanks
gza

Edited by Blade Zephon, 30 May 2011 - 10:14 AM.
Moved to AII as no logs provided and Prep Guide not followed. ~BZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrmhead

mrmhead

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

I hope mine doesn't get that bad!

Nothing more since Thursday... ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic400101.html/page__p__2266489__fromsearch__1#entry2266489

#3 gza

gza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

I didn't add the Hijack this log because HJT couldn't create a saveable log. Also HJT couldn't access the 'hosts' file. it said that it for some reason has been blocked from acess to it and gave me a method to go there and edit the hosts file manually.
I'll try to get the log and post it.
BZ..what is the "Prep Guide" I read the rules and have found no reference to a Prep Guide. Please explain what it is or direct me to it in the forum rules. Thanks.
And fimally, HJT will not create a log. It says that it cannot find the log in the HJT folder in C;/ Programs, asks if I want to create a new one. I click yes and it doesn't create anything. Beats me. Last time I used HJT it saved logs automatically.
Basically, I give up. I will delete my Yahoo account and create a new one.
Just to finish off, in the past 12 months often when I went to opwen Yahoo Messemger I received a message telling me that I couldn't be signed in because I am signing in from a different computer. Someone has hijacked my Yahoo. That simple.
I'll get on to yahoo and mention it to them and see what they can do about it.
I also remeber that over 34 years ago someone in the USA (Minnionapolis) had the same hotmail address as me and how the hell that can happen I don't know.

Edited by gza, 30 May 2011 - 11:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users