Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Recovery virus + Hijacked Internet Pages

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JenShaw

JenShaw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

Hi there guys and gals. Im trying to help my mum fix her computer Im not exactly sure how or where she picked up this virus "Windows xp recovery" but i guess thats kind of not the point anymore anyway. I spent the day searching google and trying to heal her computer and finally got rid of that pesty windows recovery pop up and got all the files back that it had made dissapear, however since then whenever i try to open a webpage on her system through IE or firefox it redirects me to a number of different pages (quit smoking, a carsales site and a a gomeo search engine) since i was unable to get to anything to download on her sytem i came home to my own to download Spybot S&D, SUPER Anti spyware and hijack this as well as running malware bytes which was previously on her machine. Malware bytes picks up nothing since initially picking up the original windows xp recovery virus, spy bot finds a few tracker cookies and deletes them but it doesnt solve the problem and Super anti spyware picked up about 500 problems but froze up when trying to heal them TWICE! (and im not to sure how to work hijack this so i left that alone).Im really at a loss, and feel like just wiping the system completely and starting over but thought i would try posting here first to see if anyone could offer any insight. Im unsure wether i should do a scan and log and post it here because after today im just not sure what program to use anymore, mostly lost trust in lots of things lol. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Budapest, 30 May 2011 - 05:23 PM.
Moved from AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users