Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freedom!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:43 AM

"If other eyes grow dull, other hands slack, and other hearts cold in the solemn trust, ours shall keep it well as long as the light and warmth of life remain to us."

Those words establishing Memorial Day are taken from General Order Number 11. That order was written in 1868 by General John Logan who was then serving as commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic.

Even as he encouraged people to remember those in the Civil War who had given their lives to preserve the Union, Logan recognized one of humanity's great flaws: we forget those to whom we owe much.

This memorial day, please...Please take a moment of your time to reflect on those men and women who served, suffered and died.

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

Remember also your family and friends that have gone before you.
Without whom you would most likely not be where you are today.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:27 PM

I read this on another forum quite some time ago and saved it. Unfortunately I have forgotten the authors name.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Freedom is not free. Thank you for those who serve today and those who have served before. May those who gave all rest in peace knowing their sacrifice was not in vain. And bless the families of those who serve for sharing the greatest gift to all Americans, their loved ones valor.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:02 AM

I have an Aussie version of "Freedom" that I actually wrote, in a time that I needed to write some thing, just to show that I was still thinking with my Brain. I would Love to share this, as I am sure Many American Vets and their Families can see, Freedom does come at a Cost.

Can I be given permission to Post it, as a Non-American.

Much better then the SPAMMER?

:hysterical: :hysterical:

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 31 May 2011 - 06:14 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Animal I also don't know the author but many veterans post have it posted on a wall inside their building. My V.F.W post has a sign on the out side of the building.
Honor are dead comrades by helping the living. I'm a life member of a AmVets and a V.F.W. and we help many and very few people know that we do. Memorial Day is not just a long weekend for cook outs. As members we are also their for each other and family members of the fallen who after many years still have a hard time making it through the long week end of Memorial Day. Most Americans will never know the feeling that veterans and the families of the fallen have on that day because they never signed that blank check to their country. Never had a loved one come home in a body bag or M.I.A. I'm preaching to the quire of four. I will quiet. Thank all four of you for your kind thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users