Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My sound card just blew. Any suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:22 AM

This is great, oh so friggin perfect. I told my parent's I'd build a new computer this summer. They got impatient, and bought a friggin laptop without consulting me at all! It's crap as far as I'm concerned. And after "testing" it like she wanted me too there's no doubt they won't take it back. And even if they did there would be info on it that some bleep hacker could dig out of the drive later. A perfect waste of $1,070!

Now I have this problem. The old computer's sound card has blown and (considering how old the motherboard is) I may have to practically replace the whole thing!

So any suggestions for a decent inexpensive sound card? And what are the chances I'll need to replace my 5 year old motherboard? A question I need answered real quick is if I should keep the computer shut off until I remove the card.

Edited by VicVegas, 30 May 2011 - 04:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:37 AM

computer's sound card has blown and (considering how old the motherboard is)

So is it a dedicated sound card or the audio chipset that comes built-in on your motherboard? If the former, there's no real need to replace the motherboard for now. A decent PCI/PCI-E sound card should do the job.

For the latter, you will need to replace the entire motherboard with a newer compatible board, which may pose a problem as far as availability is concerned. Posting your system specifications would help.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 30 May 2011 - 06:38 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

So is it a dedicated sound card or the audio chipset that comes built-in on your motherboard? If the former, there's no real need to replace the motherboard for now. A decent PCI/PCI-E sound card should do the job.

For the latter, you will need to replace the entire motherboard with a newer compatible board, which may pose a problem as far as availability is concerned. Posting your system specifications would help.

Well, I have no idea actually! The ATI Tuner card was just what the computer was using when the sound went away. How do I determine if the latter is the issue?

I need help quick BTW, if I don't figure this out in an hour or two my mother is just going to go buy a card today.

Seriously, I cannot even get it from newegg. I have to get expensive crap from Best Buy like the damn laptop and it has to be "today". So it's either this or this if I just have to replace the card.

Edited by VicVegas, 30 May 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

The device manager may say if the card is functioning, if it isn't there, it may have died. If it is on-board sound, check to make sure it is still active in the BIOS. There are those USB soundcards you can try if you don't want to take the time to do diagnostics and go card hunting. I do hesitate inflicting Creative on you though...

3939.png

#5 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

The device manager may say if the card is functioning, if it isn't there, it may have died. If it is on-board sound, check to make sure it is still active in the BIOS. There are those USB soundcards you can try if you don't want to take the time to do diagnostics and go card hunting. I do hesitate inflicting Creative on you though...

I checked again and the ATI that I thought was the sound card was actually a TV tuner of some sort. The sound options are telling me it's using Sigma Tel High Definition Audio Codec 65535 is what is running now, I just misunderstood. Is it a fried on-board? And is there anything I can do but replace the whole thing?

Edit: If I was going to use a card it would be external anyway. Works better and is a quick fix. I see no problem with that.

Second edit: The sound started working again... Apparently all I needed to do was disable then enable it. Quality still sucks on DVDs though (has for a long time now) and the volume graphic that always appears on screen now always thinks that the volume is at zero, this just makes the issue less urgent. I'll still get an external card, but not today since the local computer store is shut for memorial day.

Sorry for wasting time... <_<

Edited by VicVegas, 30 May 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

You might as well buy a sound card if your not satisfied with the current sound.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users