Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Antivirus, Antispyware, Antimalware, Registry Cleaner Tools?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jshine

Jshine

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to make an arsenal of the best antivirus, antispyware, antimalware, and registry cleaner tools. (Also is there such a thing as anti-hijacker tools?--or does this fall under antimalware usually?)
Please fill me in on the top free and paid software for each of these categories.

Currently the list of tools I have is: Avast, Malware Bytes, Spybot S&D, TDSSKiller, ComboFix, and Advanced SystemCare Free.

Thanks,
-Jshine

Edited by Jshine, 29 May 2011 - 08:52 PM.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof. -V

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

Please DO NOT USE COMBOFIX on your own without supervision!!!
Please see ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

I would replace SpyBot with SUPERAntispyware.

Best free AV's Avast or Avira
best pay... ESET or Kaspersky.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software and How to choose a firewall.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-vendors. Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as heuristic analysis or behavioral analysis which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections.

Further, each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Use trustworthy security tools like:I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires registration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as the program utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes' and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread. I know and have worked with some members of the research team so I can attest that they make every effort to resolve issues as quickly as possible.

List of Virus & Malware Resources:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Jshine

Jshine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for your replies. I guess I have a few questions.

1) Is Kaspersky or Avast known to be better over the other?
b] Is the paid version of Avast worth investing in?

2) Does any of the software discussed so far scan the registry for viruses, malware, and hijacker entries?

3) How many computers can the paid version of Malwarebytes be installed on? (This arsenal of tools I'm making is to be used to clean customers' computers that I receive.)

Thanks,
-Jshine

Edited by Jshine, 30 May 2011 - 03:35 PM.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof. -V

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

I would replace Spybot, Combofix (heed the advice!) and definitely uninstall Advanced System care in favor of SuperAntiSpyware. www.superantispyware.com

Truly there are only two guaranteed ways to never get your system infected and you are not goingto like either one of them:
1. Never turn the system ON
2. Never use the Internet

If you look at the Spyware Removal tab at the top of the forums you will see new malware almost every day.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 WinDefend

WinDefend

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

1) avast! is much lighter than Kaspersky. I own a netbook and have used avast. But there is no such thing as the "best" AV.
b] Yes it is. ;)

2) Yes, all AV/AM scanners scan the registry for malware.

3) One license is good for only one computer.

I would replace Spybot, Combofix (heed the advice!) and definitely uninstall Advanced System care in favor of SuperAntiSpyware. www.superantispyware.com

Advanced System Care (ASC) is a cleaning tool, like CCleaner.

Edited by Panda Enthusiast, 30 May 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#7 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

JShine

I've found Avira to be considerably lighter on resources than Avast. Not as feature-packed but better detection rates aswell. These are the 2 best free A/Vs around in my opinion but I would choose Avira every time.

You're already using the excellent MBAM on-demand scanner. I would ditch everything else you have, though. As someone else has said, SuperAntiSpyware is another outstanding scanner, especially for adware and spyware. You might also like to try Hitman Pro. It says it's only free for 30 days but mine is still working long after that period.

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous you might want to upgrade your firewall to Comodo Internet Security free. Deselect the antivirus part (you shouldn't have 2 and Avira is better), but select Defense+, an awesome extra tier of protection. Remember to switch Windows Firewall off.

I very much agree with the Bleeping Computer party line about not using Registry cleaners. However, I would say that I have used CCleaner in this respect and had no problems, although I do know some people who have had minor issues after using it. If in doubt, best not use it except as a file cleaner.

So, my suggested package would be Avira antivirus, Comodo Internet Security Firewall without the antivirus part but with Defense+, MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware and possibly Hitman Pro.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by n01paranoid, 31 May 2011 - 10:51 AM.

#8 WinDefend

WinDefend

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

You might also like to try Hitman Pro. It says it's only free for 30 days but mine is still working long after that period.

Yes, it still works after 30 days because the 30-day trial is for removal. After the 30-day trial period, it will detect infections on the PC but refuses to remove them till you buy a license.

#9 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

Mine is still removing aswell.

#10 WinDefend

WinDefend

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

Mine is still removing aswell.

Screenshot? You sure the 30-day trial is over?

#11 heinkeljb

heinkeljb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:39 AM

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it is kind of relevant :mellow:

I too am trying to have a selection of programs available to use to clear malware off varios PC's, bu ti have noticed lately that Malwarebytes from the download link is rather out of date. I download a new copy of it about once a week, but when installed it tells me it is anything up to 100 + day out of date!
Obviously if I have a PC which I suspect of having malware on, I do not connect it to the Internet until I have atleast done 1 scan with couple of Anti Virus /Anti Spyware programs, Malwarebytes being one of them.

Is there a reason for the old copies still being on the serveer for download?

John

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:09 AM

@heinkeljb:

After installing MBAM you need to update the definition database, same as your Anti-Virus. Click the Update tab>>Click check for updates...the GUI will tell you when it's updated, what Database version you have...etc.

Screenshot attached:
Posted Image

Edit to add: MBAM released a new version yesterday, 5/31. I would venture a guess that this "new" download would contain a much newer definition database than the last version, which was released more than 6 months ago, IIRC. That would explain the question of why "fresh" downloads are (were) so out of date.

Edited by Union_Thug, 01 June 2011 - 05:15 AM.

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:32 AM

I'm using Trustport Antivirus which runs dual virus engines with Zonealarm Firewall Pro as my combo protection.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:23 AM

I would venture a guess that this "new" download would contain a much newer definition database than the last version, which was released more than 6 months

That is correct. The installer contains a built in database which is current at the time of release. Anti-virus and other security vendors do the same. After installation it is up to the user to download the most current definitions.

I just installed MBAB v1.51.0.1200 and the setup installed with: 6705
MBAB v1.51.0.600 setup installed with: 6588
MBAB v1.50.1.1100 setup installed with: 5363
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

I just installed MBAB v1.51.0.1200 and the setup installed with: 6705...

Same here. I'm using the free version on my two laptop, an old Dell I restored w/ XP and a new Gateway w/ Win 7 HP x64. I uninstalled v1.50.1.1100 on the Gateway & installed v1.51.0.1200 (new ver) & "it" didn't offer me the 14 day Pro trial :angry:

I updated thru the GUI to new ver on my XP laptop & it did offer me the trial :blink: which I accepted. Think I'm gonna post a topic @ the MBAM forum & ask What's up with that? :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users