Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 takes 20+ minutes and several restarts to load desktop on a relatively new machine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jahlive

jahlive

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

Hi,

I haven't posted on this forum in several years. The first time I posted, I was pretty foolish with computers and I had done something incredibly stupid. Since that incident, I've done my best to become vigilant and take control of my digital life. Now I find myself back here again. I guess I'm still a long way from being perfect.

I am unsure whether I have a trojan/virus or not. I ran Malwarebytes and Spybot yesterday, and all that came up were a few cookie trackers on Spybot. Mwb found absolutely nothing. By then, my computer had already been acting a little funny. I would open task manager, and task mgr would refuse to close or respond to clicks on the toolbar, yet would not say (not responding). The same thing happened with several taskbar programs like Flux, wifi, and others. Restart usually fixed it.

Today, I got scared into coming here because, as the title says, my desktop would NOT load at all for upwards of 20 minutes, even after several restarts and on->off->wait->on's.
I would get to the windows logon screen, enter my password, and then, it would just show the blank blue screen that comes up for half a second before windows loads the rest of your desktop. So, no menu bars, icons or anything.

FYI, I'm running a Sandy Bridge i3 around 2.2ghz, 4gb ram, intel HD3000 graphics, and a 500gb 5400rpm HD. My computer usually takes about 5-10 minutes to load everything on the desktop.

The funny thing was that I could still open the task manager with ctrl+alt+delete, and my entire file system was accessible. I started mozilla and came here immediately. Even funnier is that while typing this, for some reason, the rest of the desktop finally appeared. I had definitely been logged in for over 30mins at that point.

I wish I could isolate what is wrong, but unfortunately, I just installed a slew of software including Oracle 11g and middleware, plus a bunch of other stuff. I have several good system restore points saved, and my whole hd is backed up since before these problems started occurring, thank God.

Other things to note: I have never, not even once, run Windows Update. I also have had avast! free installed and updated on my computer since the day I got it.

Please advise where I should go from here. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 jahlive

jahlive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

Thanks.
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/lTpylX1Kc8iB6eqVZvQPWrp

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

Do you use these:

Running:
Oracle ORACLE1 VSS Writer Service
Running:
Oracle TEST1 VSS Writer Service
Running:
OracleDBConsoleoracle1
Running:
OracleMTSRecoveryService
Running:
OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener
Running:
OracleServiceORACLE1
Running:
OracleServiceTEST1
Running:
postgresql-x64-9.0 - PostgreSQL Server 9.0
Running:
SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher (MYSQLIFE)
Running:
SQL Server (MYSQLIFE)
Running:
SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)
Running:
SQL Server Analysis Services (MYSQLIFE)
Running:
SQL Server Browser
Running:
SQL Server Integration Services 10.0
Running:
SQL Server Reporting Services (MYSQLIFE)
Running:
SQL Server VSS Writer

If not stop or remove the applications associated with them.

#5 jahlive

jahlive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:22 PM

I'm not sure about this, but I might need to use the Oracle ones because I am learning PL/SQL via SQLPlus, SQLDeveloper, and JDevelop.

I am trying to stop the MySQL and SQLserver services, but am having trouble with task manager telling me "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied." I will try to uninstall Mysql and postgresql.

So I take it that you do not think that I have a virus or trojan...Do you have any tips on gaining access to stopping oracle services in the task manager?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:28 PM

Well your machine is not built to perform developmental work. You need more RAM and a beefier processor.

#7 jahlive

jahlive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:30 PM

Actually nevermind, I figured out how to stop those services. Still awaiting your diagnosis on what in general is going wrong (virus, lack of memory, too many programs trying to start?). Thanks for your help so far.

Oh just saw your reply. Got it. I just ordered 8gb of ram, so hopefully that will help.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

It will help, but your machine is for general purpose office type work not developing with Oracle which is a system hog.

#9 jahlive

jahlive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

You have inspired me to obtain a worthier machine. Thanks for your suggestions.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

I would use this current machine to take notes on in school and I would highly recommend a desktop for developmental work.

Keep in mind the following:

You are using server grade software, so your components should be as close as possible.

You should get a fast hard drive, at least 8gigs of RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, and a Beefy Quad Core.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users