Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Laptop Power Supply Died - Need to Transfer Contents of HD to New Laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JHWKS4ME

JHWKS4ME

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

My old laptop, which I was going to replace soon anyway, had its power supply die several weeks ago. In the meantime, I purchased a new laptop. I want to know the best way to move the contents of my old laptop (from the old HD, which should still be working) to my new one. I'm looking to move stuff like my IE favorites, picture and music and video files, and Excel and Word documents. I have read about using a laptop "enclosure" that I could find online and connect to my new laptop via a USB cable. It appears that I could also use my old HD as an external HD once I have copied everything over. Is this the best way to get my files from the old computer to the new one? I suppose I could also go in to a local computer repair shop and see if they could do it for me there, although it might cost more than the enclosure solution given that I found one online already for $10. Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S.-Here is a link to the device I found online for $10, so you can see what I mean by "enclosure." Thanks again. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1086960&CatId=2782#

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:48 PM

Is the old lap top equipped with a SATA Drive?

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:28 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002&cm_re=usb_ide_sata_adapter-_-12-232-002-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156017&cm_re=usb_ide_sata_adapter-_-12-156-017-_-Product

I have each of those, as well as a couple of no name knockoffs I paid $9 a piece for. Absolutely handy items to have around. Does 2.5/3.5 IDE as well as all SATA drives.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 JHWKS4ME

JHWKS4ME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:38 AM

Thanks for the advice on the adapter advice, Dpunisher. And Cryptodan: As far as whether my old laptop has a SATA drive or not, I can't recall. I changed the HD twice but don't remember how I connected it. Given that the old laptop is a Dell Inspiron circa 2004, my guess is no? But if you need me to open up the computer and check, I can do so. Thanks for your help.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:07 AM

When I upgraded my laptop drive I transferred the original drive to an enclosure like that and I use it as a removable, works fine. You just need the enclosure to match the drive, IDE or SATA.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:11 AM

What is the service tag number of your dell?

#7 JHWKS4ME

JHWKS4ME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:37 AM

The service tag for my old Dell Inspiron 5150 is 58BT251. Also, I looked back thru my old computer manuals and it definitely is not a SATA drive.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:12 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002&cm_re=usb_ide_sata_adapter-_-12-232-002-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156017&cm_re=usb_ide_sata_adapter-_-12-156-017-_-Product

I have each of those, as well as a couple of no name knockoffs I paid $9 a piece for. Absolutely handy items to have around. Does 2.5/3.5 IDE as well as all SATA drives.

The service tag for my old Dell Inspiron 5150 is 58BT251. Also, I looked back thru my old computer manuals and it definitely is not a SATA drive.

Any of those in the above post will do.

#9 JHWKS4ME

JHWKS4ME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:50 AM

Thanks for the assistance. I just had one final question. If I wanted to essentially use my old (80 GB) HD as an oversized USB drive, once I transfer all applicable files from it to my new computer, would an adaptor work or would I be better off purchasing an external enclosure instead (it turns out my old HD is 2.5")? I have limited knowledge of either of these items, but from what little I have read, it appears that the adaptor might not store the HD as safely as an enclosure would...aka, adaptor = single use, enclosure = multiple use. Please let me know which you'd recommend and I think that'll be it for my issue. Thanks again!

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:05 AM

Youd be better off with an enclosure.

#11 Primeonly27

Primeonly27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:30 AM

You can find just about any old laptop power adapter on ebay for next to nothing. Just bid most people if they just put in a bid now days get it for opening bid. Check out Bay Area Power Adapter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users