Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Usage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jennifer

jennifer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

Hi
I am using Windows XP and have 4 children plus myself using it. It has a 60gb hard drive and the memory is almost used up.
I need a way to find out where most of the memory has been used so I can start cleaning off some files and freeing up the hard drive.
please help
jennifer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:12 PM

The space on the HDD?

1) Who made the system?
2)if you are using Internet Explorer, go to tools>internet options, under the General Tab, Delete your cookies, delete your Temporary Internet files. That always clears up some.

After that, I would go through the folders and find the ones hogging up all the space...

-Lazarus

#3 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:46 AM

There is a disk cleanup tool avaliable ...... :thumbsup:

Need more info....we cant just tell u what is redundant cause it is your data and files.......

You need to sort it out your self.....however....if u do not wanna touch any of it, you can always insert a 2nd hard disk...that makes it much much easier... :flowers:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#4 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:52 AM

Hello Jennifer;

After you have finished deleting Internet Files, also click the box that says > Clear history > Set the number to Zero - days to keep pages in history, this should free up more memory.

Then Go To > Start > Search > Click on all files and folders - type this in the search box > *.tmp,*.chk,~*.* don't worry about the box that says a word or phrase in the file..... When you are done typing *.tmp,*.chk,~*.* scroll down to > More Advanced Options - Where it says type of file - that box should say > All Files and Folders.
Put a check in the box > Search System Folders.
Put a check in the box > Search Hidden Files and Folders.
Put a check in the box > Search Subfolders.
Click the search button and delete all the folders that come up.
After you finish with the temp. files, you can do another search for .bak these are just backup files.

If you have downloaded a lot of music files and video files, delete as many as you can - Specially video files they take up a lot of memory. I would suggest to delete old programs and the one's you don't use a lot.

Then Go To > Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > scroll down to > Disk CleanUp - click that and when the program comes up - Put a check mark in every one of the boxes and click OK.

If you use System Restore set the slider to 3% (1075)MB - Go To > Start > Right click on My Computer > scroll down and click on properties that will bring up System Properties > click System Restore.
When System Restore opens > Put a check mark > Turn Off System Restore, When you click apply - you will get a warning message - click yes and close system properties.
Ok, now open System Properties again - Remove the check mark and move the slider to 3% click apply and ok - this will turn System Restore on and monitor your computer.
Now Go To > Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and scroll down to > System Restore - click to open system restore, When program opens click > Create A Restore Point - give your restore point a name - click cancel which will close system restore.

The last thing to do - Make sure you defrag. your computer and defrag. at least once a week - You can open Disk Defragmenter by opening System Tools.

Hope this helps

Winnipeg

#5 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:18 AM

There is a disk cleanup tool avaliable ...... :thumbsup:

My own preference is for CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ which flushes out the crap far more efficiently than any of Windows' utilities.
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:58 AM

Below is a link a very useful utility that will show and rank what files and folders are taking up space on your hard drive:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...id,23075,00.asp

In addition to some of the suggestions from other members, I suggest you perform a search (file type) for zipped files left over from downloads; these were probably unzipped and used, but the original downloaded file was never deleted.
A word of caution when you use any "cleanup" utility- - -be very very careful about what you allow it to delete, and review each file it presents.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:07 PM

My own preference is for CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ which flushes out the crap far more efficiently than any of Windows' utilities.

CCleaner is a wonderful system optimizer. But a word of warning, please do not use the Issues option, as it involves editing of the registry, and one false move and you could render your system inoperable.

Once the program is opened. You should see under the Cleaner Settings that the Windows tab is showing.
The one you need to use is the Cleaner option. :thumbsup:
The icon for the Cleaner will be the top icon on the left hand side.
You may be suprized how much it cleans (removes).

Also as has already been suggested you should Defrag your hard drive and as an added effort run Scandisk.

Scan Disk:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scan Disk

Defrag:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

A Defrag done for the first time may take awhile. Be prepared.

Defrag and Scan Disk are best done in Safe Mode.

Let us know how it goes. :flowers:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users