Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Setup A Wireless Network And Share A Printer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 big_Hunt1010

big_Hunt1010

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

i have just recieved a new laptop and was wondering how do i setup a wireless network and get all the computers to use the same printer on the network....as u can tell i have no prior networking skills. the i ahve three computers that are wireless and one that is not plz and TY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 big_Hunt1010

big_Hunt1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:22 PM

forgot to add that i amstarting from scratch all i have is two dell laptops with wireless capability, a desktop with a wireless adapter a linksys wrt54g wireless router and a desktop hard lan line, xbox lan line just for your info o and all comps are usin windows xp sp2

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:32 PM

This question is getting so common I can see a new tutorial coming soon....

Well firstly you need all the PCs to have wireless capability using compatible devices. That means have a look at the wireless devices you currently own and check what standard they conform to - the standards are 802.11x where the letter x could be 'a', 'b', 'g', 'n' or something else. Most of these standards are "backwards compatible" which means if you have a wireless 'g' device it will work with your 'b' network for example. It's also best if you can get all the wireless devices from the same manufacturer because that will give you optimum performance.

If your desktop PCs are without wireless then install a PCI wireless card. If the laptops lack wireless you can get PC-card wireless adaptors. USB adaptors are available but several members of BC have reported problems with them so I'm not recommending those.

Then you need a central point for the wireless communication. If you have broadband internet that would be the point to choose - install a wireless router and connect its "WAN" or "Internet" port to your broadband modem. There are a too many variations to go into here because you can get combination devices that include the modem, router, switch, wireless access point etc. If you have broadband talk to your ISP for their recommendation for a wireless router.
If you do not have broadband and won't be getting it for a while all you need is a wireless access point (WAP) which will be the centre of your wireless network. These are cheaper than a wireless router. If you connect the WAP to the PC which has internet access (e.g. dial-up) then you can share that access using the Windows Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) wizard.

When you have the wireless infrastucture set up you need to configure the different wireless units. Their manuals will explain a lot about how to do this. You should choose a name for your wirless network which will become its SSID. I'd strongly recommend you use encryption to stop the whole neigbourhood having access to your files. Either WPA or if that's not available WEP (you must use the same type of encryption on all the devices or they will not work) You need all the computers to be on the same workgroup and you need to enable 'File and Printer sharing' on all of them.

On the PC with the printer attached, share the printer. Then, when the network is functioning, on other PCs you can install a new printer, select a networked printer, browse and you will see the shared printer available to be installed. When the installation has finished you will be able to select that printer when you want to print a document.

The process is not as complicated to set up as it sounds but there may be some unfamiliar terminology to deal with. Post your questions as you go along and we will try to clarify things.
hth :thumbsup:

EDIT: I see you already have a wireless router so your good to go.

Edited by Rimmer, 05 January 2006 - 11:35 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 big_Hunt1010

big_Hunt1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:23 AM

i have got the same computers configured to used the same network and ssid that u spole of and they are using the same key but i cant get the computers to register

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:31 AM

Do they all get internet access through the router?

Do they have the exact same workgroup name? Have you shared anything?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 big_Hunt1010

big_Hunt1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:19 AM

they all get internet acess through the router but i cant get any thing to show up on ne of the other computers

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:27 AM

Do they have the exact same workgroup name? Have you shared anything?

What firewalls do you have on the network?

Have you enabled "File and Printer sharing" on all the PCs?
'Control Panel'>'Network Connections' right-click on "Wireless Connection" (or similar) and click 'Properties'.
There should be an entry "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" which should be ticked. If it is not there install it, you will need to reboot afterwards.

#8 meanswing

meanswing

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:31 AM

How to check if the PCs are in the same Workgroup? IF there are not in the same WorkGroup how to i set them to be in the same workgroup?

#9 big_Hunt1010

big_Hunt1010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:35 AM

i finnaly figured it out i had to first disable my firewalls after running the network wizard, then after that i went into my firewall settings and configured only the ip adresses of the compters on my network to be allowed which now my network is u and running thnx for your help guys once again

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:02 AM

Well I'm glad you figured it out in the end. :thumbsup:

meanswing - 'Control Panel'>'System Properties' click the 'Computer Name' tab. shows you the name of the PC and the workgroup it belongs to. There is a 'Change' button if it's incorrect.

#11 meanswing

meanswing

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

hey wut firewall u using BIGHUNT. i use Norton and the Windows Firewall but i disable the Norton Firewall. do u have the steps to allows your computers addresses on the network. im having the same problem. or i think it is . when i browse it ask me to type "You need to specify a valid network printer name". i put Printer5 bcuz thats the name of the printer. but when i click Next i get an

ERROR! "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. For more information, click Help."

Edited by meanswing, 06 January 2006 - 10:01 PM.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:43 PM

You have to type in full path and use slashes. Example..

\\computer name\printer5

Is the printer on another computer or printer server?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#13 meanswing

meanswing

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:44 AM

The printer is attached to a Desktop that is on the same workgroup. Where do i find the path. I see something that looks similar to \\computer name\printer5 when i go to "Printers and Faxes" then right click on the default Printer. Then click on the Ports tab. it has a check box next to it but it is not checkd. I will check in the box and see if that works. ****Edit*** ok i tried to manually add it but it gave me an ERROR! "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the Printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost connection with the server."

Edited by meanswing, 07 January 2006 - 01:43 AM.

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:48 AM

Do you have the drivers install on the local computer for the printer you are trying to use?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#15 meanswing

meanswing

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:34 PM

Yes the driver are installed on the local computer. I can access Shared Files on the Local Network but i cant join the WorkGroup. I also tried to ping the computer with the printer from a wireless computer and it said "Request Timed Out" So i think the problem lies with the local computer. **Also did an experiment by installing windows xp on a partition of the local computer and got the WorkGroup and Shared a Printer. I was even able to print something from my wireless computer. ** I booted the system partition and tried to View WorkGroup Computers but it gave me an error "You might not have permission to use this network resource."

Edited by meanswing, 07 January 2006 - 08:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users