Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Just Crashed My System

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tomcatlover

tomcatlover

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

I was working with my "backup" computer.......Win XP SP2 and ran an AVG scan.......anti-rootkits. I removed 5, and one was fixed. Later on I shut down the computer when a storm came through, and about an hour ago powered it back up. Windows will NOT boot up. It continued to recycle, and I am unable to get into SAFE mode, nor will it boot with the last known good settings. I tried "debugging mode", "disable automatic restart on system failure", and "safe mode with networking" (out of desperation), but nothing's working. I do not have a recovery disc, but I do have the OS re-installation disc that came with the computer, plus the SP2 disc I got from Microsoft.

What's my next step? :huh:

Thanks.

Edited by tomcatlover, 29 May 2011 - 06:06 PM.

Gateway SX2803-25e Win 7 Home Premium Intel Pentium E5800 processor Intel GMA X4500 Graphics 1TB HD,6GB DDR3 Memory
HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Win 7 Home Premium SP1 AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.5 GHz 4 GB RAM 64-bit OS
Ipad 2, ver 7.0.4 13.2 GB capacity

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

I will move this to the Am I Infected forum, where someone will try to assist you.

Louis

#3 tomcatlover

tomcatlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

Thanks, Louis.

Gateway SX2803-25e Win 7 Home Premium Intel Pentium E5800 processor Intel GMA X4500 Graphics 1TB HD,6GB DDR3 Memory
HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Win 7 Home Premium SP1 AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.5 GHz 4 GB RAM 64-bit OS

#4 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

Please take note:

• If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know.
  • If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • If you are unable to perform the steps we have recommended please try one more time and if unsuccessful alert us of such and we will design an alternate means of obtaining the necessary information.
  • Once we start working together, please reply back within 3 days or this thread may be closed so we can help others who are waiting. If you will be unable to respond (e.g. vacation, travel, etc.), please let me know ahead of time.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process. Please also continue to work with me until I give you the all clear. Even if your computer appears to act better, you may still be infected.
  • If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • If you have already posted a log, please do so again as instructed below, as your situation may have changed.
  • Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

So....another couple questions specific to your situation:
  • Do you have your Windows CD? If not, do you have access to another computer and a USB flash drive we can use if we have to?
  • When you say Windows continued to recycle, what exactly do you mean? Do you see the Windows splash screen? Are you trying to logon, but it loops at that point? Please be as specific as possible, that will help to narrow down the root cause.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 tomcatlover

tomcatlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:51 AM

Ok, yes........I do have the XP installation cd that came with the computer.
The 'splash screen' does not come up.....just the green and black partitioned screen. I then get the black screen with the boot agent and base code, then the next screen with option to go to recovery mode or Windows Xp Home Ed.

About 2 seconds later I get the next black screen with all the starting options.....normal, safe, safe with networking, etc, etc.

This is a 64bit system.

Yesterday morning it was a-ok, but then after I ran that AVG scan and removed some rootkits then shut down the computer is when the problem came up.

Windows XP Home: version 5.1.2600 Build 2600 with SP1A and SP2.

#6 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hello, .
OK, it looks like you either had an MBR Rookit, a serious TDL3 infection, or corrupted disk or RAM. Is there an error message or does it just recycle? (e.g. XXXX.DLL is missing)

There are two paths to go...one is to look for the bad driver, the other is to repair your MBR. I'm leaning toward repairing your MBR first, but before we do that, do you know the name of the rootkit you had? E.g. TDL3, TDSS, Whistler, Mebroot, TDL4, Alueron) That will help narrow down the root cause.

Before we repair your MBR, do you have a multi-boot system (e.g. more than one operating system on it? If you're not sure, that is a "NO". :)

I'll also give you instructions here to create a bootable USB flash drive. This will enable you to get access to your files before we fix it and give us a way to access a boot log if it isn't your MBR.

Step 1

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-xpud-windows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net/downloads/bootable/xPUD/xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Insert your USB drive
  • Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format
  • Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded
  • Press Run then OK
  • Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.
  • Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded
  • Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK
  • It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device
  • Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface
  • After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer
  • Remove the USB and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer
  • Press F12 and choose to boot from the USB. If that doesn't work, let me know. Booting from USBs is different depending on your BIOS.
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear. You can use the File menu to access your files and copy them to the flash drive to use on another computer. I do recommend you scan the files as soon as you plug the flash drive in to be save.

etavares

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image

#7 tomcatlover

tomcatlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

There was no error message......it just recycled.

My daughter's boyfriend worked with it a bit today and got it to the splash screen but could get no further. He took the cpu home with them to work on it from their apartment.

I have no usb flash drive, so that means I'll probably have to buy or borrow one. This could take a few days as my calendar's full at least until Thursday. What I'll do is copy the url of this thread and email it to my daughter, so she can show it to her bf.

#8 tomcatlover

tomcatlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:24 AM

I forgot to mention that XP is the only OS on that computer.

#9 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:39 AM

OK...it's likely a bad driver...if you want me to keep helping I need to know exactly what he did and if there is an error message when it reboots or exactly what happens after the splash screen. Let me know how you want to proceed. Thanks!

Posted Image

#10 tomcatlover

tomcatlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

He got to the splash screen and was unable to go any farther. It started to reboot again.
I'll give him a call later to see if he's worked on it any, and get back to you ASAP.
Thanks.

#11 tomcatlover

tomcatlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:22 AM

Talked to my daughter last night, and her boyfriend hasn't been able to get time to work on it. He's going to try today. I hope to have something to report.

#12 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

OK, please let me know how/when you want to proceed. We both can't do it or we will cross paths in our fixes and that is never good...if you need my help, he'll have to stop working on it.

Posted Image

#13 tomcatlover

tomcatlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

Very true.......I'll get back to you no later than Sunday.

#14 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:40 AM

Sounds good!

Posted Image

#15 tomcatlover

tomcatlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:01 AM

I think I'd better go out and get a flash drive. How much space will I need? To be fair, my daughter's boyfriend is pretty busy, and although I appreciate his help, working with you might go faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users