Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new screen saver error & sleepy computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 edwardfoss

edwardfoss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

I have a windows 7 i5 pc w/ nvidia geforce 9600 GT card. As far as my computer tells me, everything is updated for the most recent version. PROBLEM: As of last week, my computer has been going to sleep and won't wake up after an extended duration of non-usage...sometimes as little as 20 minutes. As far as I can tell, the issue is not entriely consistent. Sometimes it goes to sleep and won't recover and other times it will. I haven't found the pattern yet. Upon moving the mouse the monitor displays "power saving mode" and then nothing. Turning the monitor on & off or moving/clicking the mouse or trying to activate task manager are all met with silence. I have to reset or turn off the computer in order to continue my work, which, of course, has been lost. However, doing so does bring the computer back to the living.

Coincidence? This issue seems to have occurred around the same time as my imagebooster update for my LG lcd monitor. I now also get a message that my longstanding screen saver "ribbons" "can't be run because it requires a newer video card or one that's compatible with Direct3D". Could be a coincidence, but I don't remember making any other changes to the computer recently.

My power saver options are all set to never go to sleep, etc... I don't know what else to do.

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 edwardfoss

edwardfoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

By the Way, I just installed itunes about the same time. Probably not important, but full disclosure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users