Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista stopped detecting legacy keyboard!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 theppsi

theppsi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

Hi All

I am in desperate need of your help! Windows Vista suddenly stopped detecting my M-Audio Radium61 USB (Music) keyboard. It was previously working perfectly and all applications could access it. However, now when I connect the USB cable the keyboard display lights up as normal but Windows does not recognise it. Vista doesn't show any error messages and it doesn't list it in device manager as it should under sound, video & games controllers. I am not sure what caused this problem but I have tried every solution I can find short of reinstalling the O/S - which, for various reasons I cannot do! Please note that all other USB devices are working normally. I have tested to see if the controller is actually working and sending a signal. I connected it to my audio interface and it is indeed transmitting midi. I have concluded that this is a strange Vista problem...

I have tried all of the following with no success.
*Uninstalled all USB ports and Sound, video & games controllers in device manager and allowed Vista to re-create them
*Uninstalled + manually deleted all references to the drivers in the registry/reinstalled (successfully according to Vista) the latest M-Audio legacy keyboard drivers (v 5.0.0) several times
*Deleted/rebuilt the infcache file
*Uninstalled other USB devices and reinstalled them to see if it makes a difference
*Tried different ports and USB cables
So far nothing has worked!!!!!

I also did a search for the driver files "MAudioLegacyKeyboard.sys" and "MAudioLegacyKeyboard.inf" but strangely I could not find them anywhere on the system even though Vista said that the drivers were installed.

I am at my wits end, please help!!!!! :ranting:

System Spec:
Asus Laptop X59GL
Windows Vista Home SP 2
2GHz Processor/ 2GB RAM / 250GB HD 5400RPM / DirectX : 9.0
Motherboard: ASUS F5GL /Graphics: NVidia GE Force 8200MG 250MB
Music Hardware: Midiman Radium 61/ Edirol UA25 Audio Interface

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 theppsi

theppsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:32 AM

People!!!! I really need some help here.
Do you have any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 03 June 2011 - 03:15 PM.
Deleted unnecessary quote.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:26 AM

I also did a search for the driver files "MAudioLegacyKeyboard.sys" and "MAudioLegacyKeyboard.inf" but strangely I could not find them anywhere on the system even though Vista said that the drivers were installed.

If those files are installed, they are most likely hidden files.

If you wish to make those files visible, try going to control panel and look for folder options, double click it.

When the folder options box appears look for the VIEW tab, click it.

Scroll down until you see show hidden files and folders and drives make sure there is a check mark in this box.

Click APPLY

Then click OKAY.

Now check C:\Windows\System32\

or

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers (the MAudioLegacyKeyboard.sys file is most likely in this folder)

Have you by any chance tried Windows update to see if a possible missing driver is offered?

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users