Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is a good free email other that gmail, yahoo, aol, and hotmail?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 juvanya

juvanya

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:25 AM

I have had bad experiences with all four. Is there anything else out there that is good and free?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

Mozilla's Thunderbird...review here

Download here

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

You have mentioned the top four E-mail services available, so it is difficult to mention any that might be "better." What kind(s) of problems have you had with them?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

Hotmail I dumped a long time ago. They kept signing me up for spam. There was actually an option checked off somehow that allowed them to sell my email to spammers. Im not kidding. It said give to advertisers or something. And the thing that pissed me off more was that I couldnt uncheck it because I was under 13 and CRAPPA regulations meant I couldnt fill out a form that "might reveal personal information" or whatever... I use another hotmail account for MSN Messenger, and once when I signed in, the interface is hideous.

Yahoo was fine for about 6 years, save the constant unnecessary interface changes. But about a month ago it somehow decided I was a spammer and should submit a captcha. I find this very insulting. I tried contacting their help twice and even gave my phone number and got no help. This is why I need a new email.

Gmail its more that I hate Google, but Ive also had a few other problems when I tried it once.

AOL is the least worse, so I may just use this. I dont really have any complaint other than that its old school.

I guess Im just the 1 in 1000 person that cant stand what most people accept. xD Personally, I like the simple text email interfaces that my college and previous college use. Theyre a little a slow, but it works well.

Edited by juvanya, 29 May 2011 - 10:54 AM.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

One that comes to mind you might want to look at is: https://www.fastmail.fm/mail/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

One that comes to mind you might want to look at is: https://www.fastmail.fm/mail/

interesting. i tried it out. hmm not bad

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:04 PM

http://lavabit.com/

its POP3 instead of webmail but its very nice and pretty spam free (i have 3 accounts there)

Edited by BlackSpyder, 29 May 2011 - 11:21 PM.

Posted Image

#8 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

http://lavabit.com/

its POP3 instead of webmail but its very nice and pretty spam free (i have 3 accounts there)

oh sweet. I like that domain name. Didnt realize it at first, but it has to use Thunderbird, which is ok. In fact, that might mean I wont have to worry about idiotic cosmetic changes.

The only problem is it got put in the spam folder on my AOL account. However...it went to my Yahoo inbox.

I think we have a winner! :D

...now I just need a username >_< (I made a test account to try it out)

EDIT: Actually there is a way to login online, but I might just stick with Thunderbird anyway. Now the only problem is that I have to wait 24 hours to make a new account >_<

To prevent abuse, our system only allows one user registrations from the same subnet in a twenty-four hour period. It appears that there has already been a registration from your subnet in the past twenty-four hours. If you are not the person responsible for registering the accounts please access our website from a different location or come back in twenty-four hours.

Wish Id known that before I made a dummy account. I wouldve just made what I wanted.

Edited by juvanya, 30 May 2011 - 10:57 AM.

#9 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:54 AM

The distorted picture of text that Yahoo! forces on users is only done occasionally to each user. The purpose is to help maintaining your account security. Yahoo, at least in their webmail, is mostly easy to use so you might think about it and keep using or return to Yahoo mail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users