Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD 0x000000FC after upgrading to XPSP3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mat58

mat58

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

Hello. My problems started while I was trying to help a friend connect to his wireless router. He has a Dell Latitute D630 that only has a wireless adapter and no ethernet connection (there is a port on the laptop, but no device driver that I can find. He was running Windows XP/SP2 and had downloaded the update to SP3 but did not install it. He has a new router using WPA2 Personal security but his wireless would not connect. Doing some research I found that by upgrading to XP Service Pack 3 it would provide the compatibility to access the wireless router using that security protocol.

So I began the update. Everything worked fine until the reboot. Then I received a BSOD with error 0x000000FC. I attempted to reboot into SAFE mode and received 0X0000007E. Then I rebooted attempting to use the last good configuration and once again received the 0X000000FC. His PC is now unusable.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dakiato

dakiato

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:03 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249/e - Use method 4.

#3 mat58

mat58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

Thank you! That took care of the problem. It got me back to where I was able to do some cleanup and then upgrade to SP3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users