Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 StevesPrettyCool

StevesPrettyCool

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Hi everyone, I'm recently was given the task of getting an old Compaq Presario (SR2050NX) up and running again. I reformatted the HD and popped it back in, but when i try re-installing
XP it locks up frequently and i then get stuck. After saying "setup is starting windows" it does one of two things. 1) It will ask what drive i would like to install the partition on, but wont find any drives in the computer, or 2) I will read the drive and say "Examining 238473 MB Disk 0 at id 0 on bus 0 on atapi..."

i also stuck my 750gb hard drive in it to see if that worked but it did the same thing. any help would be great i been trying this for over a week now and im officially stuck.

Its a Compaq Presario SR2050NX
250gb sata hard drive
i know nothing more about it but with a few seconds of googling i pulled this up
Compaq Presario SR2050NX Specs

and since its so hard to describe whats happening, i also provided pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

250gb sata hard drive

The XP installation CD does not come with SATA drivers.
Have you loaded the SATA drivers, in order for the XP CD to see the SATA HDD?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 StevesPrettyCool

StevesPrettyCool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

no i havent, im new to the whole xp installation, i've done vista a couple times but never with xp. would you know where the drivers can be found?

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

I just had a quick look at the HP site for the SATA drivers ... and haven't found them yet. The computer doesn't seem to have a floppy drive, so you would need to slipstream them with the XP installation CD, and create a new installation CD with the SATA drivers on it.

There is possibly a way to by-pass the above, if your particular BIOS has the option.

Enter the BIOS Setup Menu, and look for the hard drive configuration option that will allow you to change the mode from SATA/Raid on .... to IDE compatible (or some other similar wording). Let me know what you see there if you have any queries.

If you are able to find that option and make the change, then save and exit, restarting the machine. You should then be able to boot from the installation CD and install XP normally.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 StevesPrettyCool

StevesPrettyCool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

well i been in the bios menus many times, the only thing i was able to find was this...

it was set on BOTH when i started

Posted Image

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:36 PM

No, that is not the setting we are looking for.

I have been searching for a manual on the BIOS in that machine and I can not find one. Damn HP!

The option is usually there somewhere ... but there are machines made that do not provide the option, so I cannot be sure you don't have one of those.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 StevesPrettyCool

StevesPrettyCool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:48 PM

yeah that was the only IDE reference in the bios menu and i searched everywhere, even the places i knew it wouldnt be just to be thorough.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

These links may help with finding drivers & slipstreaming into the installation CD:

Integration of Intel SATA AHCI or SATA RAID drivers using nLite. http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/107504-integration-of-intels-sata-ahci-and-raid-drivers/

Slipstreaming Windows XP With nLite http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/slipstream_windows_xp/

Step 2B: As previously indicated, it is possible to build SATA drivers directly into the Windows CD, thereby averting the need for a floppy drive. These drivers are often difficult to locate, so we have prepared a driver package for the major AMD, Intel and NVIDIA chipsets of recent make. You can download the driver package from our repository and extract it to the drivers folder created in step 1C.

"Every driver you need to slipstream Windows XP onto any major hardware platform."

Hope this helps. The driver pack is 11.7 mb unzipped.

Edited by Union_Thug, 29 May 2011 - 12:13 AM.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

Thanks for posting the information Union_Thug.

I hope that does help to get the slipstreaming done satisfactorily, because I failed to turn up any useful info about either the BIOS Setup Menu or the SATA drivers for that particular machine.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:13 AM

You're welcome AustrAlien. :)

This is the closest I can come up with by scouring the HP site, however it states that this is for Notebook models and the OP states is a desktop.
Noob question: :wacko: Does this make a difference? I've used nLite to create about a half dozen slipstreamed XP CD's but never had to slipstream SATA drivers.:whistle:

This package contains the Intel Serial ATA (SATA) Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) Controller Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. This package is used to create a diskette that is needed during a new operating system installation to ensure that the notebook hard drive is detected and usable for the installation.

Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=ob-54270-1&lang=en&cc=us&idx=3&mode=4&

#11 StevesPrettyCool

StevesPrettyCool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:14 AM

i just tried nlite with the intel drivers, still gives me that same unknown disk there is no disk in this drive problem pictured above.

#12 StevesPrettyCool

StevesPrettyCool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

so u said if i find a vista cd it'll bypass the problem?? im so frustrated by this computer im about to just throw it away...

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

if i find a vista cd it'll bypass the problem?? im so frustrated by this computer im about to just throw it away...

True: Vista and Windows 7 installation disks come with SATA drivers included, so the issue doesn't exist when using those operating systems.

The problem is a very common one: We will continue working with you to overcome it. In the case of that particular system, we are having a little trouble finding what we need.

i just tried nlite with the intel drivers, still gives me that same unknown disk there is no disk in this drive problem pictured above.

I would like to suggest that you try the link in Union_Thug's earlier post, to download the package of SATA drivers and slipstream with the XP CD.

Let us know if that does not succeed, and we will resume the search for a solution for you.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users