Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Driver for old 450ROG Gateway.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Latitude

Latitude

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

After re-installation of the operating system for this laptop I went to the Gateway website and it listed about 7-8 possible drivers for the sound
card. I got internet, graphics driver, and all others to work fine - only this one is giving me problems. The sound program when installed gives a blue
screen of death.

Stop Ox0000007E
Portcls.sys B7FBD000

I don't have the code with me right now but previously I looked it up under the FAQ and it explained this would happen when the wrong
driver is installed. In addition I used Driver Genius and Robot Driver auto search and what they came back with was also mistaken.

Do you possibly have and recommendations or advice how I could hunt down the correct driver for the 450ROG Gateway? I've installed a ton of OS's on
many computers over the years and have never had this much trouble tracking it down.

Update: Tried it again. This time the driver installed with no problem. Then when it rebooted I got the same exact bluescreen as previously but now
it's making it so i can't run windows.

The driver is Realtek Ac'97.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

We need to know more about your BSODs...

Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)

No installation required.

Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program and When scanning is done, go to Edit > Select All.

Then go to File > Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Compliments of Broni

#3 Latitude

Latitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hi I tried the software and it's connected to the C:\windows\minidump but my laptop doesn't have that folder and the BlueScreen View is turning up empty. I'm running Windows XP Proffessional. I caused the BSOD again to see if it would record it but the record still wasn't made.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

Right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Start Up and Recovery > Make sure that auto restart is not checked.

#5 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

Hi,
I believe that this is the driver you reqiure....

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=19192&dscr=Gateway%20450ROG,%20450RGH%20Audio%20Driver,%20version%205.10.0.3722&uid=307044406

is this the same machine as yours...

http://support.gateway.com/s/mobile/gateway/450rog/3501353sp66.shtml

if so then you will need to install the Soft Audio Sigmatel AC97 codec chipset first..

http://download.cnet.com/Intel-r-AC-97-Audio-Controller-SigmaTel-Codec/3000-2110_4-129998.html

Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#6 Latitude

Latitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for those drivers! I found the second one earlier but skipped it because after going to Hardware and clicking on the Audio Driver with ? next to it, the driver would install then say, "Please Insert Realtek 97 Disk" then "Locate Alcxwdm.sys" ... Both drivers return this error? I've searched on google and can't find the file but I have a feeling it's more than just one that I am missing.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

perform the speccy please.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#8 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for those drivers! I found the second one earlier but skipped it because after going to Hardware and clicking on the Audio Driver with ? next to it, the driver would install then say, "Please Insert Realtek 97 Disk" then "Locate Alcxwdm.sys" ... Both drivers return this error? I've searched on google and can't find the file but I have a feeling it's more than just one that I am missing.

As cryptodan suggests run speccy this is a good system info tool....

one other thing though have you tried updating the motherboard chipset latest version can be found here...

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/INTEL/INTEL-855PM-Chipset-Utility-630-1007.shtml

what service pack are you currently at?? you may be missing the UAA drivers for your Audio

Iain.

Edited by odin88, 29 May 2011 - 03:26 PM.

#9 Latitude

Latitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

Removed for readability. :D

Edited by Latitude, 29 May 2011 - 04:08 PM.

#10 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

Hi,
this may seem a pain but the speccy report has not thrown out the name of you sound card, please download and run Everest...

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Click Report (top menu) > Report Wizard > Next
Choose System Summary Only > Next
Choose Plain Text > Finish and wait for report to generate
Click Save to File and leave the File Name as Report, then click the Save as Type dropdown and choose Report files (*txt) and click Save (n.b. Save to desktop is best as easy place to find it, use Browse to locate desktop)

hopefully this will tell us ... speccy is good but can ommit vital info in 98 and XP, I have always found it is best used with Vista and Win 7.

Iain.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

Please post the link as instructed by the tutorial. Pasting the text contents makes it hard to read.

#12 Latitude

Latitude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

If only I'd backed up those drivers before reinstalling none of this would have happened! That's a mistake I won't make again.

Attached Files

#13 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hi,

Start> control panel> add/remove programs> uninstall the realtek audio driver. Click out of add/remove programs back to desktop.... download and install Driver Sweeper here.... http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html ...Do Not Run Yet!.

YOU MUST COMPLETE THESE STEPS IN SAFEMODE (F8)on reboot.....

run driver sweeper, select the realtek audio option and any other audio related boxes, click analyze, click clean, click clean again, as this will clear up any residual leftovers. Reboot into windows and click out of any "found new hardware" prompts. download and install ..... http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=19192&dscr=Gateway%20450ROG,%20450RGH%20Audio%20Driver,%20version%205.10.0.3722&uid=307044406 .... you must restart your machine to allow your system to recognise the changes... let me know if this has worked.

Iain.

Edited by odin88, 29 May 2011 - 04:43 PM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

You need to download and install the Intel Chipset for your computer. Please post a link to Speccy Report.

#15 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:39 PM

You need to download and install the Intel Chipset for your computer. Please post a link to Speccy Report.

Hi cryptodan,
I have already linked him to the Intel Chipset for his machine ....

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/INTEL/INTEL-855PM-Chipset-Utility-630-1007.shtml

Iain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users