Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor goes to sleep and does not wake up

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 alpop

alpop

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

Hi friends, I recently decided to reformat my computer on which I had vista (I've done this several times before without any incidents). During the formatting, the monitor went black and showed a small window with the message "monitor goes to sleep"; neither the mouse nor the keyboard could wake it up but the computer was running normally. I waited a few hours( to allow the vista to be reinstalled from the recovery partition) and then I turned the computer off from the button. When I turned it on the first thing I saw was a line on a black screen which said that there was an error in formatting the hard disk... and nothing else. Since I could not start the formatting process again, I used an old cd with XP and tried to install xp (I assumed that formatting from a cd would erase my partition C and the recovery partition D). And here is my problem: after 10-15 minutes, during the instalation of xp, the monitor went to a deep sleep again. I left the pc running for an hour or more to let xp to install and then I turned it off. When I turned it on xp was booted but it saw only 131 gb of my 500 gb, having only one partition. After 10-15 minutes of being awake the monitor went to sleep again. I tried to change the settings for the monitor but there is no sleep option, nor hybernation, only turn off monitor and turn off pc. Somebody told me that I may have rootkits and formatting does not erase the master boot record and I should use kill disk. I did, but with the monitor going to sleep I was not able to watch the entire process and controll it, or respond to any questions. So the kill disk erased the hard again and I reinstalled the xp but there is no difference, the monitor still goes to sleep afte about 15 minutes, the computer does not see the internet connection (probably I'm missing a lot of drivers)and I cannot do any updates. I conected another monitor and it did the same, so the problem is not from the monitor.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
alpop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users