Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uh Oh, possible infected a flash drive with a rootkit? How do I check?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dathorpes

dathorpes

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hi everyone,

My problems have just multiplied - I have a laptop with major problems - posted all about it in the "..Malware Removal Logs". So I was using a little flash drive to transfer programs (DDS & GMER) and their log files between it and my main computer so I can post them.
Now DDS randomly starts when it is in the infected laptop! :dance: How do I make sure I have not transfered the problem to my main machine via the flash drive?
I think one of the viruses on the laptop is MS Recovery.

I ran a virus scan using MS Security essentials against the flash drive, nothing.
Any other scan suggesstions? I hate to trash a flash drive, but I hate to trash my main computer even more! :woot:

And my problems continue to grow......:lmao:
Any suggestions?
Gratefully,

Anne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

Hi Anne.

Which OS is this?

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 dathorpes

dathorpes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

The laptop is XP, the main computer is Windows 7 (MS Security Essentials & Malwarebytes).

The reason I am concerned, is sometimes when the flash drive is in the laptop, the program DDR will suddenly start running.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hello Anne,

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

~Blade

In your next reply, please include the following:
How's the computer running now?

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 dathorpes

dathorpes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

I ran the fix - had to wait until my xp computer was up and running (still has virus problems) I will let you know if there is any problems or virus/malware on it after this.

Thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users