Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake Hard Driver Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jen1124

Jen1124

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

Last night a fake hd drive error program popped up, of course I thought it was a windows system program, clicked on scan and realized it was a trojan after I saw the buy it now and searched, using my other computer, what this program was. I installed malwarebytes, which found and cleaned 12 problems. However, I still can not see my programs unless I go to explorer. Clicking on Start and programs says empty. Nothing else that is normally on the left side, Word and Excel, recent programs, is listed either. Is my computer now clean or is there more to remove? How do I get the programs back listed under the start menu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hi Jen1124!

Please try running this utility and see what issues you're still experiencing after it.

Also, can you please post the MBAM logs for me to review?

Please download UnHide.exe by Grinler.

It will unhide folders/files that were set to be hidden by the infection you had.

NEXT:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Select the Logs tab
  • Click on the latest log. The bottom most log is the latest
  • Click Open
  • Notepad will open. Please post this log in your next reply.

Have I helped you? If you'd like to assist in the fight against malware, click here Posted Image

The instructions seen in this post have been specifically tailored to this user and the issues they are experiencing with their computer. If you think you have a similar problem, please first read this topic, and then begin your own, new thread. I do not offer private support via Private Message.

#3 Jen1124

Jen1124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

I have already gone into regedit and chose unhide before running malwarebytes on the advice I saw on another website. Is that download different from what I already did? Malwarebytes log is as follows:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6701

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

5/28/2011 10:57:51 AM
mbam-log-2011-05-28 (10-57-51).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 268067
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 10 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

I'd like to have you download and run UnHide.exe again, just to see if it will do anything this time. What are you missing from your Start Menu?

Have I helped you? If you'd like to assist in the fight against malware, click here Posted Image

The instructions seen in this post have been specifically tailored to this user and the issues they are experiencing with their computer. If you think you have a similar problem, please first read this topic, and then begin your own, new thread. I do not offer private support via Private Message.

#5 Jen1124

Jen1124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

I have the basic items on the right, when I click start, ie: control panel, run, recent documents (empty now), etc. The left side only shows recent programs I've run "hijackthis". When I click on "all programs", hijackthis is the only one that comes up. All my other programs are no longer there. The computer seems to be running good now, except for this minor inconvenience. I will run that program now.

#6 Jen1124

Jen1124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

Ok I ran that program, unhide.exe, and everything is back to normal! I can not thank you enough!!!!!!! Hope your weekend is terrific!

#7 SweetTech

SweetTech

Agent ST

• Members
  • 13,421 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

Glad to hear that UnHide worked for you!

Thank you and I hope yours is as well. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users