Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP, IPv4 which one?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tom8043

tom8043

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

I need to change my router password so I have searched the website of my router, USRobotics, and it says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you wish to change the ISP (Internet Service Provider) settings on an established 9110 due to changing ISP, please follow these simple steps. It is advisable to perform the change whilst connected to the device via an ethernet cable.

Type http://192.168.2.1 into your web browser address line to log into the 9110. (If you have changed the default IP address, please enter your own)
Enter your user name and password.
Once logged in, select the Wan tab followed by ATM PVC.
Select VC1 (if this is the connection that you wish to change)
You will now see all of the ISP settings including Username and Password
Press Save Settings

The modem will reboot and your ISP settings will have been changed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have checked my IP using both Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig

(IPv4..........:###.###.#.#
Subnet mask...:###.###.###.#
Gateway.......:###.###.#.#)

and getmyipaddress.org (IP ##.#.###.###) and they are different, so I don't know which one I need to type in the adress bar (IPv4 or the IP) in order to change the settings and the password.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etaf

etaf

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:12 PM

they will be different
the IP on the getmy ip address , is the IP address that is supplied by the ISP and is your public IP address - this may change as the ISP supplied this dynamically each time the router logs into the service

the router however on the user side gives out different IP address to the devices on your home network , so they can then all share the public IP address (usually starting 192.168.x.x)
you can post that information no security info

So the info will be something like
(IPv4..........:192.168.0.2
Subnet mask...:255.255.255.0
Gateway.......:192.168.0.1)

the only way you can control the ISP IP address is to have a fixed IP address and if the ISP can/will provide the service - it is usually a lot more expensive

If you wish to change the ISP (Internet Service Provider) settings on an established 9110 due to changing ISP,

so if you have a new ISP - on the same type of service - ie ADSL - phone connection - then they will have supplied you with a username and password - you use this in the router to establish the connection and then the router/modem will be supplied with an IP address by your new ISP

Edited by etaf, 28 May 2011 - 01:14 PM.

ETAF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users