Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lap top boots with half blue and half white screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 broncoblue

broncoblue

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:36 AM

Hi , my bro in law has an advent laptop,a few weeks ago he had blue screen of death on (it came on after about ten mins) apperently he forced a shut down and it worked for ten mins then same again(he didnt save the messages on it.). He has since tried to turn it on and it wont safe boot and it then shows a half blue and another half white screen.
ideas
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:25 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Is there a possibility you can post the model number of this computer?

Is the video card that you know of an add-on video card or is it on-board?

EDIT: Just looked again at your opening post after you posted the model number below, I didn't seem to notice that you typed laptop above, so my question above does not apply regarding on-board or add-on video card. :whistle:

The answers you provide to these questions will help us to be more of a help to you with our answers.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 29 May 2011 - 07:01 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 broncoblue

broncoblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:27 AM

hello and thanks for replying.
its an advent 5401
model EEE-89
video card im presuming is on board he says he hasnt added anything,not looked inside its at his house.
shaun
ps just seen your sig so here ya go.. :thumbsup:

Edited by broncoblue, 29 May 2011 - 05:32 AM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:09 AM

I edited post number 2 above regarding if it has on-board or add-on video card, I failed to notice you mentioned a laptop computer, not a desktop, therefore it can only be on-board video, sorry about that. :whistle:

Seems like your Brother is not the only one who has experienced this problem with this laptop, check this thread below.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/laptops-netbooks-tablets/1184342-advent-5401-laptop-screen-problem.html

http://www.nvidiadefect.com/advent-5401-nvidia-chip-defect-t727.html

Has your Brother tried downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:12 AM

He might also find other support options available from this forum board listed at this link below.

http://www.adventsupport.com/

Bruce.

#6 broncoblue

broncoblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:31 AM

I edited post number 2 above regarding if it has on-board or add-on video card, I failed to notice you mentioned a laptop computer, not a desktop, therefore it can only be on-board video, sorry about that. :whistle:

Seems like your Brother is not the only one who has experienced this problem with this laptop, check this thread below.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/laptops-netbooks-tablets/1184342-advent-5401-laptop-screen-problem.html

http://www.nvidiadefect.com/advent-5401-nvidia-chip-defect-t727.html

Has your Brother tried downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia?

Bruce.

hes not downloaded anything to be honest ,he cant get past the screen.I will look at the links thanks.

#7 broncoblue

broncoblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

so it looks like nvidia problems(at a quick glance ,long glance when i get home),are these expensive and easy to sort ?

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:56 PM

so it looks like nvidia problems(at a quick glance ,long glance when i get home),are these expensive and easy to sort ?

Some computers that were sold with faulty Nvidia video cards (mostly laptop computers) were supported by their manufacturers for a free video chip replacement.

You may want to look into the possibility that you are still eligible for this free repair.

It was mostly laptop computers that came with built in Nvidia video processors, it was found that a production run consisted of some faulty graphics chips.

Bruce.

#9 broncoblue

broncoblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:16 AM

well update..
got it booting up again and he can save his family pics but it keeps showing nvidia problem message ,he isnt going to spend on it has he got a new one through work .thanks for helping preciate it. :thumbsup:

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

Thank you for the update.

That laptop may still be eligible for a free video processor chip replacement if anyone is interested in submitting it for such.

I am NOT saying it is still a valid possibility, but for a while there, most laptop manufacturers posted on their web sites that various laptops were sold with defective Nvidia brand video processor chips and that the free replacement of such as possible.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users