Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus/Malware/Rogue?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rchisenhall

rchisenhall

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

Hi:

Hope someone can help me. I am running XP Professional, Version 2002, SP 3. This morning while working, I had checked email and suddenly started getting pop-up warnings saying "Hard Drive Failure: The system has detected a problem with one or more installed IDE/SATA hard disks. It is recommended you restart the system." This exact message then pops up multiple times periodically. The screen went black, but with toolbar at bottom still. Toolbar now has big red ball with white X in it.

When I click on Start, none of the items on left-hand side are there any longer. When I click on Programs, it says "empty." If I click on My Computer, everything shows up, but if I click on any item, say drive C, there is nothing showing there. I cannot access any programs, except I can use Run and enter iexplore to get the internet.

I use Sophos Antivirus and it shows notifications for HIPS/RegMod-009/C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\itbamgqslsqqg.exe as a suspicious file and also Mal/Generic-L/C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\22339364.exe. Sophos will clean up the last one, but not the first. Only option it gives is to authorize it.

I also get additional error messages saying "Delayed Write Filed: Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \\System32\\496A8300. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware." If I attempt to close any of the messages, the computer reboots immediately and it all starts over again.

This is a mess. I connected to internet, tried to download Malwarebytes software, but the "virus" would not allow it to run. I have tried safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, and tried to get System Restore to run that way, but again, the "virus" won't allow it.

I am stumped. Could anyone please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users