Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen STOP: 0x0000007B Error Message

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 LIVERMORON

LIVERMORON

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

So my wife shut down the old COMPAQ with XP SP3 and of course now it will not boot.

No recent hardware changes. Only recent software change was installing Malwarebytes. After MB scan and quarantine of threats, it ran normally for a week but was never shut down until today.

Now, left alone, it would try to boot, then automatically restart repeatedly over and over, showing the black Windows XP screen for just a second. It will not boot in safe mode. It will not boot to last known good configuration. I was able to turn off the automatic restart to read the error message. On the blue screen it read:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check for viruses on your computer.
Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for Hard Drive corruption. And then restart computer.
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B(0xF78A2524,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000)"

On another PC, I was able to download and image a .iso file with xp recovery console. After changing the boot order in the BIOS, was able to boot the COMPAQ from the disc and get into recovery console.

I am unsure how to proceed in recovery console (or otherwise) without losing all my data (I guess I was supposed to have it backed up--who does that anyway?).

Is there a way to repair without losing data?

I would appreciate any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:20 AM

Hi, :welcome:

Lets give it a try.

We will need to view the system status from an external environment. You will need a USB drive and a CD to burn. There will be several steps to follow.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Next download driver.sh to your USB drive
  • Also Download Query.exe to the USB drive. In your working computer, navigate to the USB drive and click on the Query.exe. A folder and a file, query.sh, will be extracted.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert them in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • In some computers you need to tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD, in others is the Esc key. Please consult your computer's documentation.
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Confirm that you see driver.sh that you downloaded there
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash driver.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named report.txt
  • Then type bash driver.sh -af
  • Press Enter
  • You will be prompted to input a filename.
  • Type the following:

Winlogon.exe

• Press Enter
  • If successful, the script will search for this file.
  • After it has completed the search enter the next file to be searched
  • Type the following:

volsnap.sys

• Press Enter
  • If successful, the script will search for this file.
  • Type the following:

explorer.exe

• Press Enter
  • Type the following:

Userinit.exe

• Press Enter
  • After the search is completed type Exit and press Enter.
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as filefind.txt
  • While still in the Open Terminal, type bash query.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as RegReport.txt
  • Then type dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

Leave a space among the following Statements:

dd is the executable application used to create the backup
    if=/dev/sda is the device the backup is created from - the hard drive when only one HDD exists
    of=mbr.bin is the backup file to create - note the lack of a path - it will be created in the directory currently open in the Terminal
    bs=512 is the number of bytes in the backup
    count=1 says to backup just 1 sector

It is extremely important that the if and of statements are correctly entered.

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as mbr.bin
  • Plug the USB back into the clean computer, zip the mbr.bin, and except for the mbr.bin zipped file, post the contents of the report.txt, filefind.txt and RegReport.txt in your next reply. The mbr.bin zipped file must be attached to your reply.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 LIVERMORON

LIVERMORON
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:42 AM

Thank you JSntgRvr for replying.

I was able to get into xpud in the sick pc, but the driver.sh does not appear under any of sda1, sda2, sdb1, or sdc1. It appears that sdc1 is the USB, with only chntpw showing up under it. Under that it shows only "no sub folder." Under sdb1 it shows:

5f4696b9afe20b86a4e84163bbb519c
ati
compaq
documents and settings
drivers
hp
program files
recycler
system volume information
windows

The clean pc is running Windows 7. Would this have affected the process?

How should I proceed?

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users