Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AOL Residues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kgash

kgash

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2004 - 12:47 PM

A while back, I installed AOL 9.0 but never used it. After uninstalling it, I found that there is still an AOL folder in Program Files/Common Files/AOL. A check of Running Processes indicated that acsd.exe was running, so I went to the directory and renamed the file and rebooted. During bootup, I got an error message that said a program was missing and bootup was very slow.

How can I clean up all of the residues left by my ill-advised AOL installation.

Thanks for any help.

Ken Gash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2004 - 02:20 PM

Just my idea on this--You may want to wait for more "expert " help. I too have had instances of getting rid of AOL stuff. They do it deliberately I'm sure. I would go to "run" and type in "services.msc". (This if you are running WIN XP) When you get the listing of services, right click on the service that is the problem-go to properties where you can disable the service that is causing the problem. Then I would go to "search" and delete every thing AOL. A real pain--they will also drive you crazy calling you on the phone and junk mailing you to entice you back with them. :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: --Good luck--By the way welcome to BC--stay here and lurk/post and you will learn a lot--I have-- :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by EdBee, 27 October 2004 - 02:21 PM.

EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2004 - 03:44 PM

I found an article here about it. It is not a program that does it for you-you have to do it manually. Let me know if it works. If not, there are a few more things you could try out.

I have a program that does it, but when I went to confirm from the originator, if it is still supported, the link was not valid. I want to look more into it.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users