Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Mail

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tomcatlover

tomcatlover

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:07 PM

Ok, so I've got this new computer featuring Windows 7, and of course Outlook Express is no longer available. So now I've got to deal with Windows Live Mail, and I'm pretty darned confused about how this gets set up and how to migrate my Address Book among other things. I'm trying to put in all the server settings, ports, and so on, but have run into major problems. I think I'm going to have to contact AT & T to get the IP. I checked and wrote down the properties from the Outlook Express including IP's and POP/SMTP #s, and all that, but still have problems getting it to work. I'm getting the following error message from Windows Live Mail:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Att (yank7fan) (1) account. Windows Live Mail couldn't log on to the email server using secure password authentication. Contact your email provider and verify that it supports secure password authentication. To change this logon setting, in the folder list, right-click on the account name, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu. In the Properties dialog, click the Servers tab, and then under Incoming Mail Server, select a logon option.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR popgate unknown command
Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC18
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

and:

Unable to send or receive messages for the yank7fan account. The connection to the server has failed.

Server: '127.0.0.1'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes
Socket Error: 10061

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
( This system is 2 days old.)

****Update****
I've played around with changing passwords, server settings, and so on. Still no luck. I removed the accounts and am back to scratch.
I'm getting mail thru my yahoo account, but want the full functionality of the Windows Live Mail.

Edited by tomcatlover, 28 May 2011 - 04:55 AM.

Gateway SX2803-25e Win 7 Home Premium Intel Pentium E5800 processor Intel GMA X4500 Graphics 1TB HD,6GB DDR3 Memory
HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Win 7 Home Premium SP1 AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.5 GHz 4 GB RAM 64-bit OS
Ipad 2, ver 7.0.4 13.2 GB capacity

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

Follow the instructions here

How do I set up Outlook, Mac Mail, or other popular programs to send and receive my AT&T email?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 May 2011 - 11:34 AM.

#3 tomcatlover

tomcatlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

Thanks, Queen! I'll give it a shot.

*****update*****
Been there, done that..and still unable to make it work. I wonder if I'm overthinking it a bit. <_<

Edited by tomcatlover, 28 May 2011 - 01:48 PM.

Gateway SX2803-25e Win 7 Home Premium Intel Pentium E5800 processor Intel GMA X4500 Graphics 1TB HD,6GB DDR3 Memory
HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Win 7 Home Premium SP1 AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.5 GHz 4 GB RAM 64-bit OS

#4 tomcatlover

tomcatlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

Happy to report the problem's been taken care of, and Windows Live Mail is operational.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users