Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too many processes running?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Starlyte

Starlyte

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

I'm on windows7 and well to cut to chase I have 63 processes running after my computer finishes booting up. I keep tabs on them and make sure only windows or Microsoft services are running in msconfig and in startup only CA, Ideazon Z Engine, Microsoft Security Client, and Microsoft Windows Operating System are running. I've talked with some and have read in your forums some issues can install themselves into the registry and won't show up in msconfig but will in task manager. When I restart in safe-mode I only have 18 processes running as I was just curious and wanted see how many had. So yeah now I'm sitting here wondering where all those processes are coming from. I've ran Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, CA, SUPERAntiSpyware, and have Microsoft Security Essentials running all time. None pick up any malware, trojans, viruses, worms, anything. I'm also having issue with Firefox just going stupid and getting where it just loses net and won't load anything but thinking that might be a problem tied to this. Anyways I have a couple screenshots of the taskmanager open showing the number of processes but with 63 of em it can't show them all without scrolling and all. I'm just wondering if 63 on normal bootup is normal when only 18 are needed for safe-mode, and like said in startup tab of msconfig only CA, Ideazon Z Engine, Microsoft Security Client, and Microsoft Windows Operating System are running. In services tab pretty much anything that's not microsoft, CA, nvidia, or amd its turned off. I do have WinSock thing in there and heard issues from it but when tried turning it off my net wouldn't work. *shrugs* If need anything like a dxdiag or Hijackthis file or screenshots let me know, oh and know sounds noobish but state if need to close anything out or do a restart as I do use my comp alot and its rarely idle even when I'm working on it >.>;

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:03 PM

63 processes shouldn't be alarming you at all.
Quite normal number.

The only safe way to control processes is by controlling startups. Some of them MAY be unnecessary.

Let's see...

Download, and install Quick Startup: http://www.glarysoft.com/qs.html
Go File>Export, save report, and paste it into your next post.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Starlyte

Starlyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

Phew makes me feel a lot better knowing that's normal. Here's the Quick Startup report:

Startup List report created on 5/27/2011 by Startup Manager

Name: Zboard
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ideazon\ZEngine\Zboard.exe
Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: ctfmon.exe
Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total 2 Items

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,664 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

I had the same reaction the first time I booted Windows 7. I mean my old reliable Windows XP ran with around 30 processes and here I was with a new Win7 install running 60+ processes! So, like Broni said, your situation is not at all abnormal: Windows 7 just has more running processes by default. Through judicious use of Google and trial and error, I have reduced the process count to around 40 (like you I keep a close eye on what's running in the background, so close that I have Process Explorer run at startup and keep it running all the time.)

You might want to take a look at Process Explorer if you're wanting to really keep an eye on what's running. It's like the Task Manger on steroids and is available for free from Microsoft. One of the handy features it has is that it can verify the digital signatures of all running processes that are digitally signed (almost all Microsoft programs are signed, as well as programs from most larger software vendors.) A valid digital signature guarantees that the program comes from who it says it comes from.

#6 Starlyte

Starlyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:24 PM

Thanks much you two I'll definately check out the process explorer. I know this isn't the proper topic but any idea on the firefox thing where constantly surfing and jumping around on pages will cause it to just lose itself and not load any pages and I haveta restart it thru ending the process for it to work again? Nothing big just a slight annoyance when I get surfing good.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,664 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Firefox is known for accumulating serious RAM usage, when you run it for a while.
In addition, the more add-ons you have, the faster it'll happen.

How much RAM do you have?

When you feel like your Firefox is stalling, open Task Manager and see how much RAM it's using.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 Starlyte

Starlyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

I got 4gb ram and just incase a AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.8GHZ processor and running 64bit OS. Though like said its not stalling it just right up stops. It keeps running and no issues on the pages you're on but try and click a link or open another window or tab of it and either just changes the link purple and has the web address in the bottom like its trying load it but never will or in case of opening another window just opens up a blank window. I've looked, dug, and searched for possible reasons, but got nothing.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,664 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:46 PM

Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode). Same issue?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 Starlyte

Starlyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:27 PM

Okay this is going sound really newb but I'm not seeing it in there. There's not even a firefox folder just the shortcut for the normal mode above the folders. Tried reinstall of the latest file from thier site and still not in there....

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,664 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

If you're using Firefox 4, go Help>Restart Firefox with Add-ons Disabled

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Starlyte

Starlyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

Hmm alright I'll give it a try during my next surfing spree. It takes usually a day for the glitch to happen so if does or doesn't I'll post back in proper thread whichever that would be >.>; Thanks a lot for the help with the processes thing mods can close this thread as problem is fixed and I'm running good. *thumbs up*

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,664 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:48 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users