Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anybody else notice this?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

...asking very technical questions about Combo-Fix and it's methods, secrets...etc??? Or is it just me? Seems to me in the past month or so I've seen literally DOZENS of new members with their first---& likely ONLY--- post asking "insider" questions about ComboFix.

Hmmmm.....

Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 May 2011 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

Yes I have in fact.

Lots of people having issues with it too (aledgedly).

You can post all the warnings in the world, you can tell them all you want NOT TO RUN COBOFIX UNSUPERVISED but they will do it anyway.

People just dont listen!
But they will be the first to cry when their systems are messed up because of it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

Or they just wasted their time running it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

>>>Lots of people having issues with it too (aledgedly)<<<

There's at least 10 topics in the Antivirus....Firewall etc Forum on the first page alone with "ComboFix" in the topic title.

Posted Image

#5 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

Combofix must be a new drug for pc everyone is hooked even ,though it could be bad for you.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Well this is interesting. Over @ the Major Geeks malware forum they're instructing users to download & run SUPERAntiSpyware, MBAM, ComboFix, RootRepeal, & something called MGtools BEFORE posting about a problem.

Vista and Win 7 Malware Removal/Cleaning Procedure @ Major Geeks--Step #3

Installing Tools and Running Scans - please only run each scan one time and complete all scans before attaching any logs!

WTF? Run ComboFix unattended? BEFORE you even make a post DESCRIBING what the problem is?

SERIOUSLY Major Geeks....

WTF???

#7 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:22 PM

Alright. . . let's not bash on other forums just because their methods differ from ours. At the end of the day we're all on the same side. This topic is not going to turn into an attack on MG or any other forum that chooses to disregard sUBs' instructions regarding ComboFix, nor will it become an attack on individuals that do the same. Do I agree with what they're saying to do? No, not in the slightest. It is neither appropriate nor beneficial for me to remark about it in a derogatory manner on another board though.

Whether an individual, or board for that matter, chooses to disregard the advice and recommendation of its author on proper usage of Combofix is a decision that is theirs to make. Obviously, BC does not think doing so is wise. The fact of the matter is that there are a number of reasons one may run ComboFix without proper supervision. These reasons range from a misperception that a general IT/Tech background qualifies as expertise on a complex and specialized tool, to having the tool recommended by a friend and never being made aware of the dangers in the first place, to flat out choosing to ignore the warnings. Some of these reasons are more understandable than others.

We all make foolish decisions. No one is exempt from that. With that in mind, kindly temper your comments.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

@ Blade: I'll have to respectfully agree to disagree with you on MG's use of canned instructions which include running ComboFix unsupervised. This is a policy which deserves (IMHO) bashing but I'll defer to your wishes and not comment on the matter any further.

Regards,
"Thug"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users