Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Drive Hardware

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kelton_b

kelton_b

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

My dad brought home a Flash Drive so we can put pics from here to my XP. When I put the driver in it says that it has recognizes new hardware and I tried to my best ability to get that going but they didnt have our brand. So I asked my computer teacher and he said to download that brand of drive onto my computer but I can't find it anywhere. The name of the flash drive is a "invensys FOXBORO" I cant find it anywhere and I dont know if Im looking for the right thing. SO if you could help me find this brand or help me know what Im doing or how to get it to work, that would be great. You people are the best and I would like to thank you for helping me with all my problems Ive had.

Kelton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:29 PM

Yo uare using a Flash Drive and that itself does not requires you to load any driver at all! ....... Thats the good thing about flash drive.

once it detected your drive, got o your explorer, see if it appears on your drive.

The next thing u might need is the application to open the file ( e.g pictures, music ...etc)

If u cannot open it, get back here.
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:16 AM

Hi kelton_b,

The flash drive you are speaking of is a promotional item... much like what a company would do with pens or coffee mugs. Check out this post: Foxboro post. Try what they suggest. If that doesn't work...

Two things needed please: What operating system are you running on your dad's computer, and do you see any markings on the flash drive other that what was stated here.

Try downloading Belarc Advisor. It is a free audit tool that may list the maker of the flash drive. Definitely worth a shot.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 kelton_b

kelton_b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:19 PM

The computer that its not working on is a Windows 98. I cant find any other things on the flash drive. Except an indented picture of a lock and a switch below it on the side. And the words "Know-How" on the other side. I did download the program and I uploaded the info with the flash drive connected and I didnt know where to look. Then on that Foxboro I couldnt find the answer to his question cause everything is out of place.

When I put the disk in it says, New Hardware found, then a window comes up that says, this wizard searches for new drivers for: Flash Disk A device driver is a software program that makes a hardware device work. then I click next then it says search for best driver (recommended) and below it, it says display a list of drivers
on the first option i click it and go to next and it displays 4 options that I can do and look through floppy drive, cd drive, windows update, or specify a locaton so I can browse. anyways it pretty complicated for me. SO sorry I cant be much of a help.

Kelton

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

or specify a locaton so I can browse

Browse to C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System or C:Windows\Inf. The last one is the most likely. To do that click Browse, then the C: and then Windows and click Ok.

You can also put the 98 CD in the drive and browse to the Win98 folder or the Drivers folder.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:55 PM

If I read this right, you have downloaded the driver for your flash drive to your dad's computer.
That file is probably needs to be expanded. Let's do this...

First let's create a folder for your driver files.

Right click the start button - a menu will appear - select explore
A new window will open (Windows Explorer) - The window will have two sides. One that list you folders
and one that lists the files and folders of what is selected on the right.
I need you to click once on the item on the right side of that window that says Local Disk C:
At the top of that window - You will see File - Select File - New - Folder.
A new folder will be created. Name this folder A USB

Now copy the file you downloaded into the A USB folder.

Check to see what type of file you have downloaded. It could be filename.exe or filename.zip -
filename being whatever name the file is. We are looking to see what is behind the "."

If it is .exe, the double click the file and let it create the driver files you need.
Please pay attention to what it does. The file may try to expand the driver files into it own created folder.
If it does, just remember what the folder name is.

If it is a .zip, you will need a program to unzip the file for you. If you have WinZip, use that.
If you don't have WinZip use: IZArc - File compression utility that supports most standard compression formats. IZarc
Double click that file and install the program. You can use either of these programs to open the zip file.

Okay... you have the files you need. Plug the drive in and when it tells you to select a location, use the
specify option, and point it to the A USB folder. Windows 98 should find the files you need and everything
should be right in the world... I hope.

Good luck,

Rigel

Edited by rigel, 07 January 2006 - 07:59 PM.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 kelton_b

kelton_b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:44 PM

I'm still having difficulties. I used the Belarc program with the Flash Disk in and I couldnt find were to look. Then I looked at the Foxboro icon and I just couldnt find it cause it was all mushed. So, sorry i sound stupid.

Kelton

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:35 AM

kelton b - If I have understood the previous posts your Foxboro USB drive doesn't work on the Win98 PC because Win98 needs device drivers installed to recognise those type of USB flash drives.
That is a Windows 98SE computer, correct?

You have not been able to find any Win98 drivers that match that product?
According to the link Rigel posted running Windows Update on the Win98 PC should fix the problem.
Have you tried that? Connect the Win98SE PC to the internet and double click the 'Windows Update' icon, which I think is at the top of the Start menu. Download any available updates. Then reboot and plug in the flash drive.

If that does not work then perhaps this Windows 98SE Unofficial Service Pack may?
http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm
More information about this pack is posted here http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
I have never used this pack - use at your own risk.

I plugged in my flash drive and ran Belarc Advisor but all it said was "USB Flash Disk USB Device".

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 09 January 2006 - 12:36 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:11 AM

I plugged in my flash drive and ran Belarc Advisor but all it said was "USB Flash Disk USB Device".

Mine did the same, but I was hoping for the best. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the links Rimmer... I never knew those existed.

Rigel

Try it kelton... and see if it helps. :flowers:

PS You don't sound stupid...

Edited by rigel, 09 January 2006 - 08:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users