Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix Command Switches

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trippinnik

trippinnik

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

I've been searching all over for a way to use ComboFix with some kind of /silent switch, these days I'm running at least one ComboFix scan per day in addition to our other malware scans. The difficulty with ComboFix which has been a lifesaver is that it tends to disconnect the remote support utility we use (RDP is fine but add an additional level of hassle for us). For our Home user scans and for convenience I'd really love to know if combofix can be run with a silent option or if there are any other command line options that can be used with this tool.

Edited by hamluis, 27 May 2011 - 07:01 PM.
Moved from Am I Infected to AV/Firewall, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

I do not mean to be rude, but we do not discuss how Combofix operates:

Sorry but discussions pertaining to how Combofix works, what it can or cannot do, what the log results mean, any future plans, updates, etc is not available to the public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. As such, the developer does not want his tool discussed outside of private forums and therefore we cannot answer specific questions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

Safeguarding ComboFix from malware writers is necessary and important so that we can continue to use it without attackers having knowledge how to defeat it. Everything we discuss can be read by the bad guys. Yes, they read forum topics looking for clues on how to circumvent our tools. We don't want to provide any information they can use against us so we deliberately limit discussion which sometimes may appear vague or not fully address a specific question. That's the decision by the creator of ComboFix so we hope you understand and it should not be taken personal.

The only public information that is available can be found in this authorized guide: How to use ComboFix. If you want to learn more about ComboFix you will have to enroll in the Malware Removal Training Program here at BC (if space is available) or one of the other various Unite Schools where such training is offered. In that environment experts will train those interested in assisting others with malware removal and how to use specialized fix tools like ComboFix.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users