Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive compatiability issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pentazoid

Pentazoid

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

Okay.

My T43 thinkpad laptop with an IDE interface will not recognize my 320 IDE gb harddrive . I cannot recall the entire message that comes up on my computer screen, but I know the message has 'not related to firmware' sentence within the entire message that pops up on my screen everytime I insert my 320 gb harddrive into my T43 thinkpad laptop. This harddrive was compatible with my former R51 thinkpad laptop. I checked the specs for the T43 ibm thinkpad and other people with T43 thinkpad laptop, some of them have 320 IDE gb hard drives inserted into the harddrive slot of their T43 thinkpad laptop. Should I alter the BIOS settings? I used the covering for my R51 laptop into the harddrive slot of my new T43 harddrive. Does that make a difference about the compatiability of the harddrive with the T43 thinkpad laptop.

Come to think of it , the BSOD does temporarily appear on my computer screen when I insert my 320 IDE gb harddrive into the harddrive slot of my T43 ibm thinkpad after the 'not related to firmware message' appears, but it functions normally when I insert my harddrive into the harddrive slot of my R51 ibm thinkpad laptop. How can I remedied this?
\
Do you think that it has do with my OS that is installed on each harddrive as well? For the harddrive that came with my T43 thinkpad laptop, linux is installed on the 60gb ide harddrive, and windows vista is installed on my 320 gb ide harddri

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

Are you turning the laptop off BEFORE removing/inserting the drive? Are you able to see the drive in the bios?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

Are you turning the laptop off BEFORE removing/inserting the drive? Are you able to see the drive in the bios?

I turned the laptop off BEFORE remvoing/inserting the drive. The laptop does I think give me the option to go to the BIOS menu. When I insert in my desired harddirve, it says the firmware is not recognizable and tells me to press any button to continue. After I proceed with the continue option, for a split second, it takes me to the windows vista logo on my old hard drive briefly for a split second, and then it directs me to the 'blue screen of death' . I find this strange, because when I inserted my hard drive into my old laptop, it functioned normally. What do you suggest I do to make my harddrive compatible with my new laptop? I went around and asked people if the kind of hard drive that I have was compatible with a T43 lenovo ibm thinkpad laptop , and the people I talked to confirmed that it was. What do you suggest I do to make my harddrive compatible with my T43 ibm thinkpad laptop?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

What is the model number of the HDD. Lets see if we can find updated firmware for it.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

Does the BIOS see the drive?

It would help to know the complete error.
Swapping a hard drive that has Windows on it from one system to another will almost always guarantee a BSOD as the drivers are for the other system.
You might have to do a clean install of Windows.

I also found an article that states only certain drives are compatible with the ThinkPad "out of the box".
Others require a firmware upgrade. See here.
If the BIOS sees the drive I would not expect this to be your problem though.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

What is the model number of the HDD. Lets see if we can find updated firmware for it.

I think this is the model number:

MDL: WD3200BEVE-00A0HT0

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

After reading the article Eysee posted it seems the bios is the one in need of a revision. Are you able to see the drive in the bios settings?

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

After reading the article Eysee posted it seems the bios is the one in need of a revision. Are you able to see the drive in the bios settings?

I don't understand what you mean. If you mean can I access the BIOS menu when I attempt to load my old harddrive on my T43 ibm thinkpad laptop, then yes, I think I was able to access the BIOS menu. But I have not loaded my old harddrive onto the harddrive slot of T43 in a while, so I don't fully remember if I had access to the BIOS menu. How would I go about revising/upgrading my BIOS?

I do received the error 2010 message like Eysee's article says.

Edited by Pentazoid, 30 May 2011 - 09:36 PM.

#9 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

You might have to do a clean install of Windows.

Is there a way to do a clean install of windows without having to reformat my old hdd?

#10 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

From articl on problems with nonthinkpad hard : Drives which produce an error and are not known to have working firmware

* Hitachi DJSA-220
* Hitachi HTS726060M9AT00 (non-Lenovo version)
* Seagate ST9100823A (100GB 5400RPM)
* Seagate Momentus 7200.1 ST910021A (100GB 7200RPM) (one user reports success, another reports failure).
* Seagate Momentus 5400.3 ST9120822A (120GB 5400RPM)
* Samsung HM160JC (5400RPM 160GB M80)
* Samsung HM160HC (5400RPM 160GB)
* Western Digital WD3200BEVE (5400RPM 320GB)

source: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_non-ThinkPad_hard_disks#Upgrade_the_drive_firmware

The following drives have firmware updates, but the firmware update software has been reported to refuse updates for no obvious reason:
how would I troubleshoot this problem?

Edited by Pentazoid, 30 May 2011 - 10:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users