Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP blocking all browsers, except secure sites

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Woodtroll

Woodtroll

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

Folks,

I have had a run-in with my computer and am hoping for some help. My old Dell 2400, Windows XP Home SP2, quit connecting to non-secure websites with any of the three internet browsers I sometimes use (IE 7, Google Chrome, Firefox). The strange part is that it WILL connect to the two secure (https:) websites I have bookmarked, with any of the three same browsers; these are the only sites it will connect to. No Google, Yahoo, Ebay, news, weather, nothing. It only gives me "this page cannot be displayed" or some such thing on all three. It will also open my Eudora email account, check and add new mail, etc., but will not display any pictures in the advertisments.

I have run several virus scans, adware scans, etc. and picked up only a few small things, although my son remembers on the evening my trouble began, he opened a "strange" email. I do not know if this has anything to do with it or not, considering there didn't seem to be much on the scans. Avast is my daily anti-virus software, and I have scanned with MalwareBytes (also in Safe Mode, with system restore turned off), Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and Spyware Blaster, and have turned up little else.

I feel like some registry entries or security settings have been changed, but I am not sure where to look or what to look for, since it affects all three browsers, and also allows secure sites to be viewed. I am not sure what settings under the Internet Security page should be checked or not. I am not very computer literate, but am trying to learn, so please be gentle!

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Woodtroll, 27 May 2011 - 02:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users