Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dialup Modems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

Hi Everyone,

OK, back from Holiday now and back to my question from before the Holiday. Oh, by the way I hope everyone had a great one, I did. Ok, about dialup modems. My PC apparently has one, but it will not dial out or fax on it. LexMark, the manufacturer of my copier says all I need is a DSL filter on the phone line along with the dialup connection and then I should be able to fax. Well I have all that and I have made a "Creating Dial-Up Networking (DUN) Connections" from SBC Yahoo!'s Help menu incase I needed a ISP dialup connection to fax. Well the SBC Yahoo! Dial-Up network (DUN) connection will NOT work either. In fact there is no dial-up sound when trying to access dial-up. OK, that's that. Now let me explain the errors that come up when I try all this to connect and/or fax to see if anyone can find anything going on here that may resolve the issue. I'll just copy and paste the different references for starters:

1. When using dialup the following error occurs every time:

Error 633, The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly.

2. The following comes from the Trouble Shooter that opens with the above 633 error:

The operating system detected that another application is using the communications port. For example, it may be in use by another Dial-Up Networking connection or by a fax application waiting for an incoming fax. Also, an application may not properly release the communications port when it closes unexpectedly (for instance, if the program "crashes").
To correct this problem:
Disable or close any such application and redial.
If this does not work, try restarting your computer.
Check to make sure that all the software needed to connect to the Internet is correctly installed and configured.
Click here for instructions.
If the problem persists, click here to display a detailed Call Log that you can print before calling your Help Desk or Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Before calling for technical support, write down this Error Code so that you can provide it when asked: 633

*3. After following all the basic recommendations and not being able to determine what the other program might be that's stopping both the fax and dial-up from going through and anything else, I find I get the same result no matter what I do, error 633.

**4. However, on inspecting the modem setup I find that the modem is set to Com Port 3, which there doesn't seem to be a com Port 3 setup on the PC? Device Manager in Computer Management doesn't have any Com Port 3 listed. I don't find anything anywhere about a Com Port 3? I'm not sure what that means?

***SO WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

5. The PVRB fax software displays the following when trying to fax:

Modem management disabled
No device connected
Receive mode is fax

It also says "Your communication will not go through imidiataly, Communication Port Unavailable".

6. The software to the modem is "Smart Link" and is configured on "PCI Slot 5 (PCI bus 2, device 3, functions)"?

OK, that's all that I have on the subject, anyone that can help me determine what's going on here I'd greatly appreciate the help.

If you think that it's hopeless and that what it's saying is that I need a new modem, fine then so be it, I'll need a new modem. However, if you can find anything in here that indicates a resolution to this issue I'd greatly appreciate hearing what that might be. Thanks loads.

John :thumbsup:

PS Of course I haven't determined who manufactured the modem yet. If anyone can tell me right where to go to get that info on my PC maybe I can work with that. Check with the manufacturer, etc.

Again thanks for your troubles.

Edited by Johnz414, 05 January 2006 - 05:20 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users