So yesterday my laptop got infected with Win 7 Total Security 2011.
I followed the guide at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011
except it did not help. Each step had its own problem and currently my PC seems to still be infected.
Here is what happened after i did each step:
1. I downloaded the FixNCR.reg file on an uninfected computer and transferred it to my infected laptop.
2. I ran FixNCR.reg in SAFE MODE and I was then able to use .exe files again, HOWEVER I still could not
access the internet in normal or safe mode.
3. Since I couldn't access the internet, I did the same thing as before. I downloaded and transferred the
eXplorer.exe file to my infected computer and ran it.
4. The only process that it reported stopping was my actual explorer.exe
5. After that I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It said my Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware was 9 days out of date but i figure that shouldn't be that big of a deal.
6. After a full scan, it came up with 3 infected files. I removed all 3 files and restarted my computer.
Now when run my computer, Win 7 Total Security 2011 doesn't run anymore. However, i am still encountering my previous problems and MORE.
1. Still can't access internet on Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
2. SOMETHING changed my Windows 7 appearance into Windows Classic.
3. My NORMAL start-up is acting as if its in safe mode. IE: I can't access the internet, I can't adjust screen brightness,
I can't adjust volume, I can't even see the network symbol in the bottom right hand corner.
1. I manually looked up the listed registry problems, BUT none of them were there.
2. I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again and the only problem that came up was the eXplorer.exe i had downloaded before.
3. I checked my task managed to see if the original malware was running, it was not.
1. Under processes in the task manager, the malware was listed as grc.exe
2. At the very beginning when i tried to run any .exe files, it would either close them or give an error message and the grc.exe process would start up again.
3. Currently, my laptop does not seem to have the malware anymore (unless it is hiding). The only problem right now is that, even when I choose to start my laptop normally,
it still acts as if it is in SAFE MODE. (SAFE MODE without the black background and small resolution)
Thanks ahead of time if anyone can help out.