Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd's Make My Computer Freeze

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigpapakamp

bigpapakamp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

I have a Sony VIAO system with a pentium 4 2.4 GHz with a Sony DVD rw drive. The drive will play cd's, cdr's, audio, etc. When I put a disk in the dvd format into the drive the computer freezes and never comes back until I reboot by holding power down. Then it freezes on start up if the disk is still in the drive (I have to take it out right as I turn the power back on). I downloaded Sony's drivecheck program and it said the drive is functioning fine, though all I had to test it with was a blank cd-r, so I assume during the test it did not attempt to read a dvd. Anyone have any ideas as to the problem here? Is a new drive needed. BTW, the computer is about 2 years old and I never had any probs until this week.

Thanks for any help everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:58 AM

Dear Bigpapa,

This sounds like a software problem; most likely a conflict between two programs. What do you use to watch DVD's on your computer?

Have you tried other DVD's?

Also, check to see what is starting up when Windows comes up. Meaning, go to the Start button, then to All Programs, then to Start up, and check.

Delete anything that you don't need to start up when you start windows (right click on to do this).

Now please tell us all the programs that can run a DVD you have installed on your computer. Example: Power DVD, Cyberpower, ASUS DVD player, Interactive DVD and etc.

I think you have two programs fighting for control to run your DVD. Two I know don't like each other is Interactive and Real One.

You only need one program DVD player.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:

Edited by junkdk, 06 January 2006 - 12:59 AM.

Your Hardware Guide.

#3 bigpapakamp

bigpapakamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:30 AM

junkdk,

Thanks for the reply. Only the bare minimum comes up on my start-up for programs. As far as programs that can run a DVD, there are Realone, Windows Media, Power DVD, and Interactual. I think that is all. Also when I try to play the game F.E.A.R., I get the same response...a frozen computer. The game is the DVD version.

Thanks again.

:thumbsup:

#4 bigpapakamp

bigpapakamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:39 PM

I tried getting rid of all of the progs that play dvds and my computer still hangs when I insert a dvd or dvd game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users