Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix Update Hacked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GWild

GWild

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

Since I haven't been able to find another way to let you guys know...

Combofix is getting interrupted and asking to update to the most recent version. If you go forward with it, it will actually download a malware installer that your proper version of combofix will catch. I tried renaming the executable and it still asks me to upgrade, which I don't. It also downloads the installer from your mirror link to download combofix from BleepingComputer.com. Is this something that you guys can address, and let me know what's going on? I really like this tool, and it has saved me on more than one occasion.

Thank you for your time

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 May 2011 - 01:52 PM.
Moved to AV forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:12 AM

I have not heard of any similar reports. Please confirm where you are downloading but do not post an active link. I will advise the developer so he is aware.

BTW, if you have not already done so, I ask that you read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here before proceeding with using ComboFix on your own.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Blaine B.

Blaine B.

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

I was asked by ComboFix to update today. I DECLINED, after reading this. Not sure if it is related or not...but....

#4 helga wendelburger

helga wendelburger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

I ran the update. Scanning with malwarebytes now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users