Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I uninstall a batch file?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sepulcher

Sepulcher

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:09 AM

To cut a long story short, I decided to try out a demo for a games which is coming out, and a friend gave me the file (it's a FREE demo mind you) and I didn't really like the game so I want to uninstall. How do I go about that?

When I installed the game at first, it installed via one of those command prompt boxes.

Thanks guys, I hope this isn't illegal...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:28 AM

If the demo has been installed into Windows, you should be able to find it and uninstall it in Control Panel/Programs and Features. If it's just a freestanding demo file run from a shortcut to a batch file, you should be able to just delete the demo files and shortcut.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Sepulcher

Sepulcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

It's not in my control panel. Can you please tell me how to shortcut a batch file?

EDIT: I clicked properties on the icon to open the game, and it lead me to a file with lots of sub files in it. Can I just delete that folder and it'll simply go?

Edited by Sepulcher, 27 May 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

You're meaning the Target folder shown in the Properties dialog for the shortcut to run the demo?

To find out if it should be safe to just delete that folder, try to re-name it. If you get a warning that re-naming, moving or deleting it could cause a program to become unstable or stop working, then stop and we'll have to investigate further. If you just get a UAC dialog for permission to proceed, then accept that and re-name the folder (note what it was originally called in case we want to change it back again). Re-start the computer to make sure nothing is upset about not knowing where those files are. The icon should change to a generic one. If Windows doesn't complain about something not found, it should be OK to just delete the folder and the shortcut icon.

Edited by Platypus, 28 May 2011 - 09:23 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users