Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:46 AM
PC I have an Intel P4 XP Pro SP 3 - was running fine for many years
1. When opening IE8 96% -98% of task manager's reported resources are used for about 2 minutes before displaying URL - then at random new pages same happens.
2. When clicking a shortcut to an excel file or trying to file...load , I get "[filename] cannot be accessed the file may be read only or you may be trying to access a read only location........"
The file is there and can be accessed by Excel on another network macine.
3. When clicking a shortcut to Winword.exe or trying to read a document I get "Word cannot open the existing ("[square])"
The file is there and can be read from a network machine.
4. programs that have run for over 3 years either hang or do not execute.
I have tried...
1 to scan for virus's using trend micro and norton's free services - both fail to run - they hang whilst attempting to download their active x component.
2. From safe mode neither trend nor norton report any problem.
2. I checked all versions of excel, word and other apps which failed to run to ensure date modified was not recent.
Suggestions please and thanks in advance