Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What have I got?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Manigotu

Manigotu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:46 AM

PC I have an Intel P4 XP Pro SP 3 - was running fine for many years
Problems
1. When opening IE8 96% -98% of task manager's reported resources are used for about 2 minutes before displaying URL - then at random new pages same happens.
2. When clicking a shortcut to an excel file or trying to file...load , I get "[filename] cannot be accessed the file may be read only or you may be trying to access a read only location........"
The file is there and can be accessed by Excel on another network macine.
3. When clicking a shortcut to Winword.exe or trying to read a document I get "Word cannot open the existing ("[square])"
The file is there and can be read from a network machine.
4. programs that have run for over 3 years either hang or do not execute.

I have tried...
1 to scan for virus's using trend micro and norton's free services - both fail to run - they hang whilst attempting to download their active x component.
2. From safe mode neither trend nor norton report any problem.
2. I checked all versions of excel, word and other apps which failed to run to ensure date modified was not recent.

Suggestions please and thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users