Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is all this compatible for a computer build?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 pivotraze

pivotraze

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:51 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qe6ivk3sywy43i3/Computer%20Build.xlsx

It's an Excel document. Basically, I want to know if I'm missing any required parts, or if anything is incompatible.
Proud user of Windows 7 Ultimate

Developer of: Seafire Suite
Developer of: Pivot: Revolution

System Specs: 4GB Ram, Intel i3-2350M,

MaxxAudio® LE

, 1600x900 17.3" HD+ TruBrite LED Screen , and Intel HD 3000 Graphics.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:28 AM

I just had a look and i found that there is 2 motherboards. One is Gigabyte and EVGA. Get rid of the Gigabyte on. Also you actually don't have a graphics cards.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 pivotraze

pivotraze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:30 AM

I thought the ATI CrossfireX was a graphics card. :P I remember reading that somewhere...Oh. I grabbed the motherboard version of it :P What Graphics card do you recommend? I would like to be able to play games like Call of Duty and Fallout without graphics lag. :)

MaxxAudio® LE

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:38 AM

You also have the wrong memory config listed for an X58 chipset, you should go for an i7 960 instead of an i7 950.

At this point in time I would question even building a socket 1366 system as they are effectively EOL. The Sandybridge builds are faster, usually cheaper, and that is what matters. Focus on a Z68 chipset motherboard, a 2600K CPU, 8gigs of at least DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM, and a good video card. Look around this forum, there are many builds listed.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:46 AM

Maybe we should redo the whole list again but this time not in a excel form but on this topic.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

What are you using this computer for? Judging from the list, which should be posted here, it seems like a gaming build at $1000 to $1500. Your CPU is slowly being phased out by Intel in favor of the Sandy Bridge line. Keep in mind that AMD will be launching new CPU's towards the end of June which will affect pricing. Here's a suggestion:

Case: Sentey Arvina Extreme Division Tower - You need a full ATX tower if you're wanting a gaming machine with large graphics cards. $99

Motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 AMD 890FX - This is a high-end motherboard for AMD CPU's. The 890FX in the title makes it a flagship model AMD chipset that allows for full x16 on two PCI-E cards. Keep in mind that this is an AMD chipset, so you cannot use SLI, but Crossfire. Also, this motherboard will not support the upcoming Bulldozer (AM3+) CPU's, in fact, any motherboard claiming to allow AM3+ CPU's will not offer the full Bulldozer experience because AMD's 900-series chipset isn't out which will allow for both SLI and Crossfire and faster RAM. $149 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz - One of AMD's best CPU's. This is a six-core CPU with an excellent clock speed for gaming, plus, it's unlocked. Few games and programs will use all six cores, but if they can, this CPU will easily handle it. As you know, AMD is going to be launching new CPU's in June which are more powerful than this at a similar price point. This CPU will work in AM3+ motherboards, as well as AM3 motherboards. $189

Graphics Card: MSI R6970-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6970 2GB - There are only three other cards that beat this one in terms of performance, and they are usually more expensive. This will easily play your games without lag. If over $300 is a bit too much to spend, consider the HIS H695FN2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB, which is a little slower. $339 (Before $25 mail-in rebate)

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W - Corsair makes excellent power supplies and this can easily handle one or two 6970's. However, you can get a higher capacity CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W if you have the extra cash. Given the slight cost difference, after rebate, between those two PSU's, I would go for the 850W if the difference isn't too much. $109 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - This is a single 4GB stick of RAM. Your computer can hold up to four of these, but, most people only need one and maybe two depending on use. $39

(Optional) Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD3-2AGT120G 3.5" 120GB - This is purely optional. This SSD will certainly help with data access, but is expensive. If you need to reduce your budget, cut this. You should only install Windows and a few highly used programs on this drive. $199

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB - You need this to hold your data, such as music, movies, etc. $44

ODD: LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner - Unless you are using your PC for Blu-Ray movies, the only reason to get a Blu-Ray drive is for backing up data since very little software is distributed on BD-ROM. You do need a simple DVD drive, like the Sony Optiarc at least. $89

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - Unless you use EFS or domain printing, you probably have no need for Professional. $99

Grand Total: $1,364 (Before taxes, rebates, and shipping. Also includes SSD.)

Edited by DJBPace07, 27 May 2011 - 06:23 PM.

3939.png

#7 whathuhitwasntme

whathuhitwasntme

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

Yes, you now have the option for SLI on an AMD motherboard.

I am not sure I would be jumping on that 6970 video card unless it was under 300 bucks, the nVidia 570 pretty much whips it and can be had new at 325ish and open box off newegg for 225ish.

the 1090T is an awesome cpu
why you would need a 200 dollar motherboard to run it, I don't know unless you are going to actually run multiple video cards and lots of toys

most AM3 boards support dual video cards, for stock out now, stick with ati/amd chips if you want crossfire, SLI will be out soon if you wait for it, nVidia cards are back in play for price vs performance

if you are going to add a 2nd video card later, that power supply wont last
you will need at least 1000 watts to run modern card(s) as in more than ONE at a time.

Edited by whathuhitwasntme, 27 May 2011 - 06:09 PM.

You, yes YOU! STAND STILL WITH IT! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:09 PM

...not really. The CURRENT chipsets from AMD will not run SLI, this is the AMD 800 series, however, the 900 series will. The 900 series is upcoming and has yet to be released. If this computer is needed right now, the OP will have to make do without SLI, and Bulldozer, but if they can wait until Bulldozer is released, then they can get it and SLI. However, they can get an nForce motherboard for the SLI in lieu of an 800 series and still get SLI on current AMD setups, it's just there aren't many to choose from. There are already previews of the new 900 series motherboards from Asus, MSI, and ECS online already, they look nice!

Source:

PC Perspective - AMD 990FX, 990X and 970 chipsets to get NVIDIA SLI Support
Tom's Hardware - SLI Arrives on AMD 9-Series Motherboards
TechSpot - AMD's 990X, 990FX chipsets to have SLI support?

3939.png

#9 whathuhitwasntme

whathuhitwasntme

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

absolutely

was mid edit when you posted that
I get so used to having my data at my fingertips was busy crossing t's and dotting I's I had missed.

It's still a valid point though, that most dont need sli or crossfire. Dual GPU's will run fine stand alone on a modern OS.
The 6950 and 6970 are ok cards but honestly for the price I would expect more from them. They just don't stand up in the head to head reviews against similar nVidia cards.
You, yes YOU! STAND STILL WITH IT! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

The Radeon 6970 falls in between the GTX 570 and 580, which is where it's price point is at. BTW, a 750W PSU will run two 6950's (Which is essentially a 6990), however, if the OP wishes to hedge his bets, he could get the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W which will certainly be enough. I have updated my parts list to reflect this.

Edited by DJBPace07, 27 May 2011 - 06:29 PM.

3939.png

#11 pivotraze

pivotraze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

Woooh. That's a lot of changes. Is the AMD CPU you recommended the equiv or better than the Intel i7? I love AMD's.

MaxxAudio® LE

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

Which i7, the quad core or the six core?

>Michael 

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

There are no i7 offerings at a $200 level, the closest is probably the i5 760, which isn't i7. Keep in mind that the socket which those i7 CPU's fit into, are being phased out meaning, your (Expensive) upgrade path will end sooner. As for raw performance, it really depends on what you are doing, if you are doing number crunching or love showing off benchmarks, the i7, if you render or use applications that can use all six cores, Phenom II X6, which will slightly overclock itself in certain situations and is Black Edition. With gaming, much of the performance lies with your graphics card, since that is what is being taxed the most during gaming at higher resolutions. Frankly, any modern quad core CPU over 2.8 GHz. should be sufficient for gaming when paired with a good graphics card.

3939.png

#14 pivotraze

pivotraze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:14 PM

Which i7, the quad core or the six core?

The Quad Core

There are no i7 offerings at a $200 level, the closest is probably the i5 760, which isn't i7. Keep in mind that the socket which those i7 CPU's fit into, are being phased out meaning, your (Expensive) upgrade path will end sooner. As for raw performance, it really depends on what you are doing, if you are doing number crunching or love showing off benchmarks, the i7, if you render or use applications that can use all six cores, Phenom II X6, which will slightly overclock itself in certain situations and is Black Edition. With gaming, much of the performance lies with your graphics card, since that is what is being taxed the most during gaming at higher resolutions. Frankly, any modern quad core CPU over 2.8 GHz. should be sufficient for gaming when paired with a good graphics card.

The sockets for the i7, which practically just came out, are already being phased o.O The majority of the use of this computer would be high end gaming, with some minor usage for word processing (school). I am basically looking for a CPU (Quad Core at least) that, as you say, when combined with a high end GPU (capable of Fallout New Vegas, Crysis 2, Call of Duty, and Assassin's Creed) will be able to play high end games. I would love anything that could do that. I would love a cheap path, but anything below ~$2000 is fine with me. I won't be buying it all at once. :P

MaxxAudio® LE

#15 pivotraze

pivotraze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

What are you using this computer for? Judging from the list, which should be posted here, it seems like a gaming build at $1000 to $1500. Your CPU is slowly being phased out by Intel in favor of the Sandy Bridge line. Keep in mind that AMD will be launching new CPU's towards the end of June which will affect pricing. Here's a suggestion:

Case: Sentey Arvina Extreme Division Tower - You need a full ATX tower if you're wanting a gaming machine with large graphics cards. $99

Motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 AMD 890FX - This is a high-end motherboard for AMD CPU's. The 890FX in the title makes it a flagship model AMD chipset that allows for full x16 on two PCI-E cards. Keep in mind that this is an AMD chipset, so you cannot use SLI, but Crossfire. Also, this motherboard will not support the upcoming Bulldozer (AM3+) CPU's, in fact, any motherboard claiming to allow AM3+ CPU's will not offer the full Bulldozer experience because AMD's 900-series chipset isn't out which will allow for both SLI and Crossfire and faster RAM. $149 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz - One of AMD's best CPU's. This is a six-core CPU with an excellent clock speed for gaming, plus, it's unlocked. Few games and programs will use all six cores, but if they can, this CPU will easily handle it. As you know, AMD is going to be launching new CPU's in June which are more powerful than this at a similar price point. This CPU will work in AM3+ motherboards, as well as AM3 motherboards. $189

Graphics Card: MSI R6970-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6970 2GB - There are only three other cards that beat this one in terms of performance, and they are usually more expensive. This will easily play your games without lag. If over $300 is a bit too much to spend, consider the HIS H695FN2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB, which is a little slower. $339 (Before $25 mail-in rebate)

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W - Corsair makes excellent power supplies and this can easily handle one or two 6970's. However, you can get a higher capacity CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W if you have the extra cash. Given the slight cost difference, after rebate, between those two PSU's, I would go for the 850W if the difference isn't too much. $109 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - This is a single 4GB stick of RAM. Your computer can hold up to four of these, but, most people only need one and maybe two depending on use. $39

(Optional) Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD3-2AGT120G 3.5" 120GB - This is purely optional. This SSD will certainly help with data access, but is expensive. If you need to reduce your budget, cut this. You should only install Windows and a few highly used programs on this drive. $199

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB - You need this to hold your data, such as music, movies, etc. $44

ODD: LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner - Unless you are using your PC for Blu-Ray movies, the only reason to get a Blu-Ray drive is for backing up data since very little software is distributed on BD-ROM. You do need a simple DVD drive, like the Sony Optiarc at least. $89

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - Unless you use EFS or domain printing, you probably have no need for Professional. $99

Grand Total: $1,364 (Before taxes, rebates, and shipping. Also includes SSD.)

Sounds much better, definitely price wise. One important thing I forgot about... I would need a wireless card that could be installed to the motherboard. I mean, I could buy an external one I guess. This computer would not be near the modem of the house. So what do you recommend? Internal or External for wireless card for this desktop?

Also, is that RAM a better bet than Crucial ram?

And I guess I could live without blu ray :)

Odd, after changing all the prices in my excel spreadsheet, the price is 1728.17, not 1364?

Edited by pivotraze, 28 May 2011 - 06:59 PM.

MaxxAudio® LE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users