Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost all files from system drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerJoe2

ComputerJoe2

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

This is an odd one. After pulling the win7 HDD and doing virus and malware scans I copied my "tool box" folder over to the root. Tool box contains installable Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, Spybot, and MS security Essientials as well as other tools. So I put the HDD back into its computer and boot win7 to safe mode with networking. When browsing to c:\ToolBox I noticed that tool box was the only folder showing...ah WTH I installed the apps and ran them. Found a few more things & removed. Restarted in normal mode and installed adaware and Security Essientials. AdAware ran fine but Security Essientials was taking forever to complete so I aborted.

Now I turned to my problem of not seeing any files on C even though My Computer showed that it had 50 gig on it. I just finished taking ownership of the C: and got messages that I could not take ownership of pagefile.sys and Hiberfil.sys so I KNOW there are files there...heck windows boots and there are no windows files on any of the hard drives or partitions!

Any ideas folks???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

Hello,I moved this from WIN7 to Am I Infected.

This infection family will also hide all the files on your computer from being seen. To make your files visible again, please download the following program to your desktop:

Unhide.exe

Once the program has been downloaded, double-click on the Unhide.exe icon on your desktop and allow the program to run. This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives. If there are any files that were purposely hidden by you, you will need to hide them again after this tool is run.

Next run Malwarebytes

Edited by boopme, 26 May 2011 - 08:35 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Tarelros

Tarelros

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:55 AM

Thank you very much for the Unhide link. I was having the exact same problem and this was an easy fix.

#4 ComputerJoe2

ComputerJoe2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:01 AM

Why dosen't windows security "unhide" the files?
Is it because it was written by MicroSoft and is corrupted so it can't?
The permissions show that I have "full" which would include reading/seeing but I guess not hidden files.
Is there still an attrib command?
answered my own question...YES there is!
ATTRIB -h /S /D
should do it as well.

mchuff has this exact same problem as well.

I could only run cmd.exe by specifing the entire path to it.
Then I [cd \] dir showed nothing but the new files I copied to it.
then [cd \windows]
bang I'm in c:\windows and can dir all the files...I think
cd [system32]
bang I'm in c:\windows\system32 and can dir the files there.

Edited by ComputerJoe2, 27 May 2011 - 06:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users