Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows 7 Recovery" Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 selfmade64856

selfmade64856

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

So glad that this forum even exists. It's a shame it has to but I'm glad it's here :)

I downloaded a "FREE" search engine keyword ranking program called something like "absolutelyfreesearchenginerankingchecker" or something similar. I should have known something was amiss just by the long, lame name. I've since removed the application and can't remember the exact name of it. I tried looking it up so that I could attach it to this post but can't find it anywhere. It was in the wee hours of the morning so who knows.

Anyway, I installed the program....and then all hell broke loose. The "Windows 7 Recovery" console opened up and began running it's scan and my first thought was that it would be an easy fix.....but it's not. I have since removed the program although the instructions here - "Windows 7 Recovery" Removal - did not help me at all even though I attempted several times each time making sure that I followed the instructions to the T (I'm thinking maybe a new variation?). I ended up tracking down the running processes and deleting the multiple installations of the virus and it's components using HiJackFree (which is NOT HJT - HiJackThis is a completely different program with a completely different purpose then HiJackFree), although I am not sure that I got all of the registry entries. HiJackFree allows you to detect running processes. It then allows you to remove both the process and associated files that are running the processes.

All is fine now except for the fact that all of my "All Programs" folders are still empty. I ran the "unhide" tool several times with restarts each time to no avail although it did unhide the files that were missing and all my desktop icons.....so it did a good job :) Here is a screenshot of the empty folders:

Posted Image

It seems that all of the posts for this "Windows 7 Recovery" virus are from within the last few days and I have yet to see an actual fix for the missing "All Programs" "empty" folders. All my other files are showing and work as usual and yes, I did make sure to unhide the files and folders ;) , but still no go.

I also saw a post where the user had the same issue and simply "reverted" the "All Programs" folder to a previous version, however that isn't an option for me because it says "There are no previous versions available".

I have updated and ran Mbam, AVG, S&D, Lavasoft Adaware, SuperAntiSpyware and Regcure. The only thing that they NOW find are the regular tracking cookies and other similar ilk.

I have noticed that a few of the folders have come back (no longer empty) such as my accessories (was completely missing), Google Chrome, MSQL, my "Virus Protection" folder (was completely missing) which contained Lavasoft - Regcure and SuperAntiSpyware which are all back as well, WinRar and ZazaSoftware folders are back too. All other program folders are empty within the "All Programs" menu.

I am running:

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate
Processor - Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80 GHz 1.80 GHz
RAM - 2.50 GB (for some reason the system will not take 4GB's)
System - 64-bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by selfmade64856, 26 May 2011 - 09:28 PM.

Surround yourself with those that are smarter then you, otherwise you'll end up just as dumb as those around you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:16 PM

Closed this as it was fixed here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic399676.html/page__p__2264085#entry2264085

Edited by boopme, 30 May 2011 - 08:21 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users