Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to delete jpg from my computer.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 {}-{ PIKE }-{}

{}-{ PIKE }-{}

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

I have a .jpg file that I am unable to delete, edit, or preview. When I right click the file, it does not give me the option to delete, rename, cut, paste, or copy. Only preview, edit, print, rotate, set as background, open with, and send to, with all of the "Send to" menu options. With now of these options working. When I click the file, or try to edit it, a warning pops up and says "The Filename, or extension is too long", and won't let me do anything to it. It's true the filename and extension are long, and the extension reads ".jpgpg.jpg" so...? ,
The file has been on my system since 2008. I think it was downloaded from "Limewire", or "Ares" but not for sure. Can anyone help me with getting rid of this file?

Edited by {}-{ PIKE }-{}, 26 May 2011 - 04:39 PM.

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 N.E.

N.E.

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:16 AM

You did not specify the file name and directory so I cannot give you the full command, but can you use the DOS command "DEL filename" to get rid of the file? Open a DOS box and give it a try. You may have to put the file name in quotes if the file name is longer than the 8.3 format filename (ie 8 character filename and a 3 character extension).

START -> RUN -> CMD (enter)

#3 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

You could have a shot with the Malwarebytes tool Fileassassin.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/fileassassin
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

Try renaming the file...to Test.jpg.

There is no valid file extension that reflects that ending (Jpgpg.jpg) that I know of. File extensions normally only have 1 period/dot separating the filename and the extension.

Jpgpg.jpg seems to be assoiated with some websites hosting photos, from what I see.

Some malware come cloaked with double extensions such as you reflect. That's one reason why it's important to have the ability to see all file extensions...instead of just the filename minus the extension...as is the Windows default setting.

Louis

#5 {}-{ PIKE }-{}

{}-{ PIKE }-{}
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

I can't rename it, can't do anything to it. Move it, Edit it, put it in a zip, nothing. Can't delete the folder it's in. I've tried everything like that, everything i can think of. The file name\ path is" C:\Users\Pike\Desktop\Originals\Ares\My Shared Folder\new " and then the file name.
To do the "Run command" thing I would have to include the folder path and then the file name, with the file name in " " quotes... ?
So it would look like C:\Users\Pike\Desktop\Originals\Ares\My Shared Folder\new\ "The File Name"\ DEL
Is that Correct?
By the way, thanks for the help everyone.

Spoiler

#6 N.E.

N.E.

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

Actually, there is an easier way. In the DOS command box, there is an auto complete feature that will automatically fill in the file name. If you do a CD to the correct directory, you can type in the DEL command at the DOS prompt, and every time you hit the "Tab" key, it will automatically fill in the the next filename in the directory (with the quotes around them if necessary).

If you type in the firwst letter of the file name, it will autocomplete names starting with the letter you typed, so if uou want to delete file "This is a long file.dat", at the DOS command prompt (if you are already in the correct directory), type "DEL T" and hit the TAB key until the file you want to delete shows up, then hit ENTER.

You can also use this methon with the CD command to fins the directory names too.

Neal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users