Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setup#.exe virus/worm/trojan assistance needed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bennyscrap

Bennyscrap

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:01 PM

I was casually searching through the internet when I came across a file that needed to be allowed by the administrator to install. The file was setup(number).exe. I declined it quite a number of times before noticing that every time I declined it, the number would increase at a random interval. Eventually, I allowed it so I could get to work with the virus scans. Nothing has come up as of yet.

After allowing it to run, it restarted my computer, pulled up a command prompt after booting windows and ran avg.bat. I've been told to go into regedit and mess around, but that's quite dangerous without knowing what to touch and what not to touch. Does anyone have any advice as to what this virus/trojan/worm could be? As of my typing this "Microsoft Windows Search Protocol Host" randomly decided to stop working, and my system resources are definitely being taxed. Internet Explorer has shut down a couple of times.

Any help is much appreciated. TIA.
Bennyscrap

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2011 - 05:07 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Comp39

Comp39

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

Try out A squared, a free useful tool that will delete anything it finds. http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/ But as with all anti-spyware programs be-careful what you delete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users