Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutdown Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

When I close firefox and turn off my computer quickly, it freezes. Why is this and how do I fix this? Because of this, I am forced to press my laptop's power button to force shutdown it. Does force shutting down cause any computer problems and how do I fix them?
Malware shall not pass!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

1) Why can't you just wait the 30 seconds after Firefox closes?

2) Yes, doing a hard shutdown frequently WILL cause problems. First, it is not good for the system. Second, it will cause lost sectors. Run chkdsk /r (per the instructions below) and stop shutting down with the power button.

Right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type:chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#3 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

About how long will it take?
Malware shall not pass!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

Depends on the size, speed and health of the hd and how many files are on it. Anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or longer.

#5 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

I have heard that during chkdsk\r your computer will freeze and in order to fix this you have to have a backup. Can you tell me how to make one?
Malware shall not pass!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users