Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing new o/s

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 steingis

steingis

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:07 PM

i have just bought a netbook (acer aspire z5g 8.9" screen ) it was second hand it has windows 7 trail version installed

and i was thinking i should put a new o/s on it.

i have looked through the guides on this forum and cant find one

how do i install a new o/s and can anyone give me advice on which one would be best i use xp at the minuite on my old laptop i think i prefer the look to vista but im not sure what advantages vista has over xp

how does linux compare to windows where can i read up that also

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:54 PM

One of the main things you need to think about is how you're going to install your operating system. Most netbooks do not have a CD or DVD drive so whichever OS you choose will need to support being installed from an alternate medium.

Many newer OS's support being installed from a USB flash drive either (almost) out-of-the-box or after a little light hacking.

Many people still prefer Windows XP to Microsoft's latest offerings and there's certainly something to be said for the performance benefits of running XP on hardware that is ten years newer than itself

But there are also caveats to running a 10-year-old operating system. For one, Microsoft will be ending support (updates, patches, etc.) for Windows XP on April 4 of 2014. Sure that's slightly less than three years away but Windows Vista is supported until 2017 and there has been no end-of-life date yet set for Windows 7 (though Windows 7 Enterprise comes with a guarantee of support until at least 2019.)

Another gotcha of running XP is that hardware manufacturers are starting to end support for it. That means that you might have trouble finding the right drivers if you go for Windows XP.

Windows Vista has been much maligned for its shortcomings and heavy resource usage, and mostly with good reason. You can likely expect that running any portable system with Windows Vista (such as a netbook) will mean that you'll end up charging the battery more than you would with a more efficient OS.

Linux-based OS's comes in many, many flavors so it's hard to make generalizations about them with any degree of accuracy. Some flavors are intended for uber-geeks who think in x86 assembly language and have nightmares about the memory management of the PowerPC processor (if you get that joke then you're already a huge Linux geek.) Others are intended for the new Linux user who just wants things to work.

A popular version of Linux among new users is Ubuntu and its variants. One interesting and helpful thing about the Ubuntu family (and indeed many Linux flavors) is that they can be run completely from a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive. The practical upshot of that being that not only can you install them from a CD/DVD/flash drive but you can run a fully functional desktop without ever installing anything on your hard drive. This makes for a very nice way of poking and prodding at how an OS looks and feels to you without having to commit yourself to using it. Don't like it? Simply reboot and take out the CD/DVD/flash drive!

Edited by Andrew, 26 May 2011 - 04:03 PM.

#3 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

ok thanks andrew so is windows 7 > vista? it has windows 7 installed already but its the trial version

im looking to tranfser lots of mp3s mp4s to the netbook, doing a little surfing and some online streaming and maybe using fruity loops music studio as im taking it travelling with me.

so with that preety basic useage do you think xp would be the best as it would run the quickest?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

Well, I'm not really in a good position to judge either Windows 7 or Vista. I've never had Vista installed and I just barely installed Windows 7 on my new computer last night... so I'm still feeling Windows 7 out. I came from a Windows XP + Kubuntu Linux dual-boot system. Now I'm on a Windows 7 + Kubuntu dual-boot system. Though it would seem to me that if you're going to go with a Windows OS, you might as well get the newest one (Windows 7.)

For quick and basic computing, Windows XP is the best of the currently supported Windows versions. You may have trouble finding a copy, though, since XP is no longer for sale (though you can find tons of copies on sites like eBay; if you go that route make sure to buy from a reputable seller.)

#5 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

dual boot system goes way over my head...

will the trial version work the same as original does just have to shut the boxes at the start? (its expired)

is changing o/s a simple task?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

"is changing o/s a simple task? "
It is for someone that has done it before but I would not recommend it for a novice.

Could you please confirm the model number of your system.
I am not finding any info on it on the Acer site.
I suspect we will find that the system will support Windows 7 only.
Meaning that there will not be drivers for your system for any other o/s

I wasnt aware that there was a Trial Version of & that ever shipped.
Are you sure you are not confusing it with Office which has a trial version and comes preinstalled on many systems?

To me, this is a classic case of "if it aint broken dont fix it!"
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

He or she may be referring to Windows 7's 30-day activation period.

#8 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:55 AM

ok after i enter the passowrd a box comes up asking to activate windows the choices ares activate now and ask later

on the home page in the corner it says windows 7 evaluation copy this copy of windows is not genuine

#9 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:57 AM

model is acer aspire one AOA 150-AB model zg5 storage is 120 gb ram has been upgraded to 1.5gb from 512mb

steve

#10 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:06 AM

a box popped up when using it saying

YOU MAY BE A VICTIM OF COUNTERFEITING

to use all microsoft windows features such as all updates from windows update,get the latest updates

and receive product support, your copy of microsoft windows must be validated as genuine

(link) go online and resolve now

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Checking the Acer website for that model, it shipped with Windows XP as the only option.
No driver support for Vista or Windows 7.

Turn the system over & see if there is a Windows sticker on it with a 25 digit product code.
If there is, what version of Windows is on the sticker?

Where did you buy this?
Looks to me like it might have a bootleg copy of Windows on it.

#12 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:03 AM

i got it on ebay i got a message from the seller saying the original o/s was linux which i have a recovery dvd for linux v1.0.13

#13 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:06 AM

it says on the dvd the software included on this dvd was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory and may only be used for backup and recovery of your acer computer system performance of the software is the sole responsibility of acer inc.

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

I dont think Acer ships systems with Linux preloaded but they might.

How did Windows 7 get installed?
Whats version of Windows is on the sticker on the bottom of the system?

What does it say is on the dvd that you have?
I assume it came with the system.

#15 steingis

steingis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

its a acer aspire one dvd with linux on it so i assume it came with the system. i dont see a windows sticker anywhere on the netbook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users