Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix - NSIS Error

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BewareOfButtlice

BewareOfButtlice

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

Recently just downloaded combofix and going to run it on a computer here but receive the error:

---------------------------
NSIS Error
Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include
incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the
installer's author to obtain a new copy.

More information at:
http://nsis.sf.net/NSIS_Error
OK

Tried it on my workstations and it gets the same thing as well. Is there a workaround?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BewareOfButtlice

BewareOfButtlice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

Nevermind, looks like the issue has been resolved!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for letting us know.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 colormebad

colormebad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:02 PM

I been running combofix forever, and still use an older icon/exe i always run.... It would work anymore, said corrupt and i downloaded a newer version... That version will run but then later the same day or the next day it won't run and says this below...

htt://nsis.sf.net/NSIS_Error

Then i have to go back and download another copy... Also b4 it always said update and i clicked on it and updated it and let it run...The ones i download now doesnt do that through the day , and then like i said doesnt work at all... Strange i have 2 other programs i have never had any problems with also started acting up... Ultra Video Joiner and ConVertXtoDvd ... When i go to installed one of these on another computer, It says they both corrupted... All this started when i ran the lastest combofix..

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

That error is not specific to ComboFix. In fact, I have only heard of a couple reports and that was 4 years ago when this topic was originally started.Attempting to use older outdated versions of ComboFix is not recommended. The official site for downloading ComboFix is provided in the authorized Guide and tutorial on How to use ComboFix. The link in that guide redirects to ComboFix Download page hosted by BleepingComputer.

There are a number of unofficial sites which host various unauthorized versions of ComboFix (many of which are outdated) or files which claim to be ComboFix. Both ComboFix.org and ComboFixdownload.com offer unauthorized versions of the tool and the download links are seldom current. None of these sites are affiliated with the legitimate tool created by sUBs.

BTW...Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 2000 are NOT supported by ComboFix. If you attempt to use ComboFix on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, or Windows 2000 it should provide a message alert and exit. These are generic messages and intentional by design when attempting to run ComboFix on an unsupported Windows version.

#6 colormebad

colormebad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

That error is not specific to ComboFix. In fact, I have only heard of a couple reports and that was 4 years ago when this topic was originally started.

Attempting to use older outdated versions of ComboFix is not recommended. The official site for downloading ComboFix is provided in the authorized Guide and tutorial on How to use ComboFix. The link in that guide redirects to ComboFix Download page hosted by BleepingComputer.

There are a number of unofficial sites which host various unauthorized versions of ComboFix (many of which are outdated) or files which claim to be ComboFix. Both ComboFix.org and ComboFixdownload.com offer unauthorized versions of the tool and the download links are seldom current. None of these sites are affiliated with the legitimate tool created by sUBs.

BTW...Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 2000 are NOT supported by ComboFix. If you attempt to use ComboFix on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, or Windows 2000 it should provide a message alert and exit. These are generic messages and intentional by design when attempting to run ComboFix on an unsupported Windows version.

I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64bit .... My friends pc just started doing the same thing today... Everyone i download does the same thing a few hours or the next day

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:38 PM

The latest version works properly on my Windows 7 machines.

Are you downloading/saving the file to your desktop and running it from there?

#8 colormebad

colormebad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:41 AM

The latest version works properly on my Windows 7 machines.

Are you downloading/saving the file to your desktop and running it from there?

I ran this program called---   SmartPCFixer    And so far it hasn't done it anymore... I'm going to watch it out through the day.... I don't know if the reg got corrupted or what.... I have used combofix for years and use to even rename it 1234.com where other virus programs wouldn't detect it and remove it like i have seen before... I just downloaded a copy other day and noticed the front of the site was changed, and the d/l was on the left not the right side anymore... That same day is when this all started.. My 2 other programs would not start up and showed to be corrupted, and combofix would say something wrong with the d/l or dload a new copy..... Has anyone noticed that combofix no longer says new update ?? Before it would always show a new update within 30 mins or hours after using it, but now it doesn't say new update when you open it anymore....

ps: Always run it from the desktop, even when in safe mode...

Edited by colormebad, 23 October 2015 - 11:44 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:04 PM

Grinler, the site of owner of Bleeping Computer recently implemented some major changes to the website which included the front and download pages so that explains why it looks different.

Yes, ComboFix should be run from the desktop in normal or safe mode. ComboFix is optimized to run from normal mode where it is most effective. However, it can be run in safe mode if you are having trouble getting it to run or loading Windows in normal mode.

#10 colormebad

colormebad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:20 PM

Grinler, the site of owner of Bleeping Computer recently implemented some major changes to the website which included the front and download pages so that explains why it looks different.

Yes, ComboFix should be run from the desktop in normal or safe mode. ComboFix is optimized to run from normal mode where it is most effective. However, it can be run in safe mode if you are having trouble getting it to run or loading Windows in normal mode.

Just thought i would try running combofix i just downloaded yesterday , and its still doing the same thing here below.... I always have to go back and d/l a new copy... And its affecting to of my installs.... ConverXtoDvd and Ultra video joiner ....When you try to install them they say corrupted and i have to place a new copy of them back in my folder where all my installs are...

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/billykristall/10-23-2015%2014-13-16_zpsj1lq0rji.jpg

#11 colormebad

colormebad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

Here is what it shows on the two other programs i try to open...

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/billykristall/10-23-2015%2014-20-49_zpsbtq6rrmu.png

I have both of these two programs running on my computer with no problems... Its just the folders with the installs in them, that this is happening to..... Its always ConvertXtodvd   Ultra Video Joiner and Combofix that shows these errors....

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:28 PM

I still have not heard of any other reports other than here but I will advise sUBs of this topic.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:47 AM

sUBs checked and confirmed this is not an issue with ComboFix. As noted in the links I provided above, an NSIS error typically indicates a bad download ending up with a corrupt copy of the file.

sUBs also said it could be your anti-virus or some other resident security protection targeting part of ComboFix which is not uncommon.

#14 colormebad

colormebad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:59 AM

sUBs checked and confirmed this is not an issue with ComboFix. As noted in the links I provided above, an NSIS error typically indicates a bad download ending up with a corrupt copy of the file.

sUBs also said it could be your anti-virus or some other resident security protection targeting part of ComboFix which is not uncommon.

I installed my old trustworthy Kaspersky Antivirus last night, I only install it when problems like this arise...

This is what the problem is---->   Win32.Sality.gen     As we all know, it goes after the .exe's ... I'm running a scan as we speak on all my flashdrives, they all are affected ,,,, Scanned my whole computer but i will go ahead a wipe it and reinstall a fresh copy of 7 like i always do in this case.... thanks for your help

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:28 PM

Sorry to hear that...Win32/Sality is a dangerous polymorphic file infector which infects .exe, .scr files, creates a peer-to-peer botnet that compromises the computer, opens a backdoor, downloads more malicious files, and steals sensitive personal data/passwords which it sends back to the attacker. The latest Sality virus modifications have extended their Trojan capabilities so they can now check window titles, ending the processes that created those windows, hide system files, and block attempts to open URLs of antivirus companies.

Since Win32.Sality is not effectively disinfectable, your best option is to perform a full reformat/reinstall/factory restore as there is no guarantee this infection can be completely removed. In most instances it may have caused so much damage to critical system files that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. In many cases the infected files cannot be deleted and anti-virus scanners cannot disinfect them properly.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users